Fatter Comics?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Fatter Comics?

Post by Shadowman99 »

Just picked this up in the latest Valiant Voice email:

"... Valiant will also be expanding the page count of each issue, beginning with March's NINJAK #1, to a colossal 40 pages per issue – all for the standard price of $3.99."

Not sure if this is all Valiant comics, or just Ninjak :?

Surely just Ninjak, but still, there must be some serious grafting going on in the VEI office to pull this off?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Fatter Comics?

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Yep, just Ninjak is what I've heard. They stretched it out for that series because of the dual storyline being told throughout the first 12 issues- present and past. (Very much like the Arrow TV show. Great formula if you have the time/space to use it!) I can't wait to see what they do with this series.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Yep, just Ninjak is what I've heard. They stretched it out for that series because of the dual storyline being told throughout the first 12 issues- present and past. (Very much like the Arrow TV show. Great formula if you have the time/space to use it!) I can't wait to see what they do with this series.
+1 very excited

And with 2 top notch artists Mann and Guise on the title (hopefully for at least those 12 issues) - it should be an epic story.

:high-five:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

bygranddesign wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Yep, just Ninjak is what I've heard. They stretched it out for that series because of the dual storyline being told throughout the first 12 issues- present and past. (Very much like the Arrow TV show. Great formula if you have the time/space to use it!) I can't wait to see what they do with this series.
+1 very excited

And with 2 top notch artists Mann and Guise on the title (hopefully for at least those 12 issues) - it should be an epic story.

:high-five:
Is the second artist Guise or Guice? And how would the second one be pronounced if that's it?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Sorry, its Guice

Not sure how its pronounced ... but I pronounce it in my head as G-ICE :? (G not like gee but like guh) :|

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

bygranddesign wrote:Sorry, its Guice

Not sure how its pronounced ... but I pronounce it in my head as G-ICE :? (G not like gee but like guh) :|
I have heard it said gwice, like ice but with a gw-.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Chiclo wrote:

That sounds right :thumb:

But if I ever met him .. I think i'll just call him Butch. :)

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I am stoked beyond compare for this new Ninjak series. Just another stunning comic from VEI. :thumb:

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

bygranddesign wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

That sounds right :thumb:

But if I ever met him .. I think i'll just call him Butch. :)
It's actually pronounced like "juice." I've never met the man, but that's what the editor of Captain America said in an editorial column once.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

It's probably pronounced 'gwee-chee' :p

Dual storyline eh, sounds good :)

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Guice. Rhymes with Rice.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

So nobody has *any* idea how to pronounce this guy's name... :lol:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Shadowman99 wrote:So nobody has *any* idea how to pronounce this guy's name... :lol:
It's pronounced "dude".
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

lorddunlow wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:So nobody has *any* idea how to pronounce this guy's name... :lol:
It's pronounced "dude".
Gotcha, thought you'd know. :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Shadowman99 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
It's pronounced "dude".
Gotcha, thought you'd know. :lol:
:lol: Guice is *The Man*!! :thumb:

I'm pretty excited about seeing his work in Ninjak - Jackson Guice is one of my long time favourite artists. I never got into collecting every comic he worked on, but always loved his work when it appeared in series I liked. Some old-school ROM, Hulk & (I think) Iron Man covers are coming to mind - his detailed style was always very inspiring to me.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Jackson Guice?

I think we should just pronounce his surname 'Jackson', because his forename quite obviously suffices quite perfectly enough as a functional surname.

I've never understood this weird thing that Amercians do, giving their kids surnames as forenames. I don't think it should be allowed, because it's *SQUEE* retarded.

Can you imagine coming across that in a formal situation? Introducing yourself to someone, and then them sharing their name with you in return? You'd surely be pretty *SQUEE* off when you've told a guy that your name is Ted (or whatever, so long as it's not a surname-forname) and then the guy responded with "Hi, I'm Jackson". I think you'd either assume the guy's an arrogant prick for only giving his surname, or that he has a pretty *SQUEE* confusing sense of self-identity.

And what about when people have names that use forenames as surnames? *SQUEE*, imagine that: "Hi, my name's Jackson James!" Seriously JJ, get down the deed poll office and get the order of those names switched, you're obviously just out to *SQUEE* with people now.

Not to mention how totally unfair on everybody it is to use a surname as a forename and then have an actual surname that nobody knows how to pronouce. That's so far over 'the line' that the line is no longer visible. I hope he doesn't underline his name when he signs a comic, because that's just taking the *SQUEE* - drawing 'the line' under his signature just to remind fans of his comics that he has such blatent disregard for 'the line' that he flaunts his cockiness over the matter by *drawing* 'the line' under his signature, just to remind you that he crossed it long ago and disregarded it, like an empty condom wrapper post removal of contents.

By the way, if he doesn't underline his signature that still doesn't get him off the hook. Dude is clearly twisted.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

david_albuq wrote:I am stoked beyond compare for this new Ninjak series. Just another stunning comic from VEI. :thumb:
:thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Shadowman99 wrote:Jackson Guice?

I think we should just pronounce his surname 'Jackson', because his forename quite obviously suffices quite perfectly enough as a functional surname.

I've never understood this weird thing that Amercians do, giving their kids surnames as forenames. I don't think it should be allowed, because it's *SQUEE* retarded.

Can you imagine coming across that in a formal situation? Introducing yourself to someone, and then them sharing their name with you in return? You'd surely be pretty *SQUEE* off when you've told a guy that your name is Ted (or whatever, so long as it's not a surname-forname) and then the guy responded with "Hi, I'm Jackson". I think you'd either assume the guy's an arrogant prick for only giving his surname, or that he has a pretty *SQUEE* confusing sense of self-identity.

And what about when people have names that use forenames as surnames? *SQUEE*, imagine that: "Hi, my name's Jackson James!" Seriously JJ, get down the deed poll office and get the order of those names switched, you're obviously just out to *SQUEE* with people now.

Not to mention how totally unfair on everybody it is to use a surname as a forename and then have an actual surname that nobody knows how to pronouce. That's so far over 'the line' that the line is no longer visible. I hope he doesn't underline his name when he signs a comic, because that's just taking the *SQUEE* - drawing 'the line' under his signature just to remind fans of his comics that he has such blatent disregard for 'the line' that he flaunts his cockiness over the matter by *drawing* 'the line' under his signature, just to remind you that he crossed it long ago and disregarded it, like an empty condom wrapper post removal of contents.

By the way, if he doesn't underline his signature that still doesn't get him off the hook. Dude is clearly twisted.
:screwy:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:

I think he might need to eat a Snickers bar - he's not himself when he's hungry... :P
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I think he might need to eat a Snickers bar - he's not himself when he's hungry... :P

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

:funnypost: :lol:

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i like 'em thick!