Bob Layton interview in Wayne´s podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ibero
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Bob Layton interview in Wayne´s podcast

Post by Ibero »

Not sure i agree with all he sais, especially about the future of comics, but its interesting to here what he has to say, about that and about VEI.

http://majorspoilers.com/2014/10/19/way ... ob-layton/

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre
Re: Bob Layton interview in Wayne´s podcast

Post by rkjock1 »

Wow! Just... Wow. I actually listened to this expecting something cool, or even insightful. Layton has one enormously swelled head and really seems to have almost NO grasp of concepts he assures us, repeatedly I might add, that he's an expert in.

No, Mr. Layton you did not co-create the whole entire Valiant Universe. You are not Valiant's Stan Lee and you are not owed credit for your creations any time someone has an interview about a VEI book. And yes, a significant portion of VH1 books WERE sold to speculators and not readers. That's why the company ultimately failed under your Stewardship.

And while I'm on the topic of things you DID NOT do, Future Comics was not a forward thinking, innovative idea that didn't get off the ground because the Man kept you down. It was a line of boring, uninspired ideas that you failed to market properly and that 99% of today's comic buyers have never even heard of.

My two cents.

:rant:
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Could only make it 10 minutes in.

That's 10 minutes I'll never get back.

Sir Sandrick
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: X-O/Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Sir Sandrick »

I think that it would be great to see him return to do some Valiant things at some point, but it would also be great to hear him acknowledge that the new Valiant has done an amazing job breathing new life into the characters. In my opinion, the new stories have far eclipsed the old ones in terms of narrative and character building. I like that the interview was candid, but I understand how his "businessman" standpoint that he flaunts at every opportunity could rub people the wrong way. Considering his business track record...

Some creators tap into their ego more than others as a way of getting things done at the end of the day. He still birthed many of the characters that are the backbone of what we have now and I gotta give him that, no matter how he got it done.

It would be cool if they gave him a limited contract like they did for the Q2 creators so he can dabble a bit, but not sure that he should be involved in any of the current books that they have built. A stand alone X-O arc that is drawn by him in the old style and written by VDitti? I would be on board for that.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

wow this *SQUEE* guy is really into himself!

i agree that creators should get credit but i don't know enough facts to say if he's right or not. if he was work for hire then he's *SQUEE* out of luck. thats how it works as an artist.

the thing that bugs be in all his ranting is his lack of knowledge of where disney makes it's money. he says they will realize they are publishing books for little prophet and pull the plug. if that was true disney wouldn't make movies either. or own abc. or merchandise products. or do a lot of things outside of simply owning cable networks.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ny/277680/

this guy is a windbag and i hope he never works on a vei book.

Sir Sandrick

Post by Sir Sandrick »

listened to the rest of the cast and wow... that was not easy. The guy has it really backwards imo- He should feel honored to be honored and to be brought on at all after they (painstakingly over the course of years) revived the company from the dead. If not for the new leadership -the characters which he says that he partially owns would probably still be six feet under.

I imagine that is it awkward to let someone play with your toys when they think that they toys are really theirs. In any case, I hope that they can make some common ground and relations stay relatively good.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Sir Sandrick wrote:I think that it would be great to see him return to do some Valiant things at some point, but it would also be great to hear him acknowledge that the new Valiant has done an amazing job breathing new life into the characters. In my opinion, the new stories have far eclipsed the old ones in terms of narrative and character building. I like that the interview was candid, but I understand how his "businessman" standpoint that he flaunts at every opportunity could rub people the wrong way. Considering his business track record...

Some creators tap into their ego more than others as a way of getting things done at the end of the day. He still birthed many of the characters that are the backbone of what we have now and I gotta give him that, no matter how he got it done.

It would be cool if they gave him a limited contract like they did for the Q2 creators so he can dabble a bit, but not sure that he should be involved in any of the current books that they have built. A stand alone X-O arc that is drawn by him in the old style and written by VDitti? I would be on board for that.

Yes, Sir San, most of the VEI stories are the best that Valiant has been. (this is of course my opinion). [if I was to be honest, BWS's A&A run is better {to me} than the VEI A&A, but that is it.]

Sir Sandrick

Post by Sir Sandrick »

Elveen wrote:
Sir Sandrick wrote:I think that it would be great to see him return to do some Valiant things at some point, but it would also be great to hear him acknowledge that the new Valiant has done an amazing job breathing new life into the characters. In my opinion, the new stories have far eclipsed the old ones in terms of narrative and character building. I like that the interview was candid, but I understand how his "businessman" standpoint that he flaunts at every opportunity could rub people the wrong way. Considering his business track record...

Yes, Sir San, most of the VEI stories are the best that Valiant has been. (this is of course my opinion). [if I was to be honest, BWS's A&A run is better {to me} than the VEI A&A, but that is it.]
I DO miss Flo lol

I think that some of the original Flashbacks that Aram had were fun too. So far we have seen more of Gilad's memories in the new stories. The new A&A lost me a bit during the faraway arc but got me back on board with the most recent issues. -and I'm really diggingThe Delinquents way more than I expected to.

Intrepidxc
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa

Post by Intrepidxc »

I listened and now want to facepalm .

This actually makes me want to sell my XO #1 CGC 9.8 SS with Bob Layton's signature.

rkjock1
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

Sir Sandrick wrote:Some creators tap into their ego more than others as a way of getting things done at the end of the day. He still birthed many of the characters that are the backbone of what we have now and I gotta give him that, no matter how he got it done.
Unarguably, Bob Layton is a huge part of the VH1 legacy, both good and bad. I'd never even try to argue that point. But that's the thing, what he actually accomplished isn't enough for him it seems. He wants credit for everyone else's work too, especially Shooter's. Nope. I call Bull@@it!

And as for wanting to be acknowledged in an article about VEI's Dr. Mirage, maybe he should have tried reading the book. Of all the concepts recycled by Dinesh and Co. for the modern Valiant, Dr. Mirage strays the farthest, by far, from the original concept. Outside of the name, there's nothing more than surface similarity. Funny him not being able to see that considering he almost broke his neck contorting himself around an argument that Iron Man is really his creation.
Sir Sandrick wrote:It would be cool if they gave him a limited contract like they did for the Q2 creators so he can dabble a bit, but not sure that he should be involved in any of the current books that they have built. A stand alone X-O arc that is drawn by him in the old style and written by VDitti? I would be on board for that.
No it wouldn't be cool. If VEI did a project like that it would be the first thing they've ever published that I wouldn't buy. Which, really, is why people like him should just shut the hell up. Before I heard his delusional ramblings I would have backed a project like that. Not now.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Yeah, he has a big ego. Yeah, he did some good stories, and helped VH1 develop some good creations. He always been a bit full of himself (and not in the more humorous way that helps Stan not be a big dbag). I like some of his stuff, but he is neither a great artist or writer, competent in both but not excelling. He is no Kirby, thought he seems to be a grabber far more Kirby ever thought of. Sure Stan screwed a bunch of co-collaborators out of just due. Shooter had his issues as well, but he was Stan in creation and execution. Shooter was the creative influence and those other that shared this also faded when the original greed of VH1's explosion was seen. It was left without much vision, which eventually even Layton bailed on.
All that rant being said, I would like to see him do something, but for nostalgia's sake, not really for what he brings to the table. Oh to have seen what VH1 was to be had it followed it's originals dogmas...
Now on the same token I wish him the best, he's in a tough business and not on the leading end of it. I'm happy for him and his wife, and it's must be tough with all the traveling he does to so many cons and such.
:peace:
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

Sir Sandrick

Post by Sir Sandrick »

rkjock1 wrote:
Sir Sandrick wrote:Some creators tap into their ego more than others as a way of getting things done at the end of the day. He still birthed many of the characters that are the backbone of what we have now and I gotta give him that, no matter how he got it done.
Unarguably, Bob Layton is a huge part of the VH1 legacy, both good and bad. I'd never even try to argue that point. But that's the thing, what he actually accomplished isn't enough for him it seems. He wants credit for everyone else's work too, especially Shooter's. Nope. I call Bull@@it!

And as for wanting to be acknowledged in an article about VEI's Dr. Mirage, maybe he should have tried reading the book. Of all the concepts recycled by Dinesh and Co. for the modern Valiant, Dr. Mirage strays the farthest, by far, from the original concept. Outside of the name, there's nothing more than surface similarity. Funny him not being able to see that considering he almost broke his neck contorting himself around an argument that Iron Man is really his creation.
Sir Sandrick wrote:It would be cool if they gave him a limited contract like they did for the Q2 creators so he can dabble a bit, but not sure that he should be involved in any of the current books that they have built. A stand alone X-O arc that is drawn by him in the old style and written by VDitti? I would be on board for that.
No it wouldn't be cool. If VEI did a project like that it would be the first thing they've ever published that I wouldn't buy. Which, really, is why people like him should just shut the hell up. Before I heard his delusional ramblings I would have backed a project like that. Not now.
I guess I mean IF he were to do something I think that a one-off story to include in a deluxe edition, or cover or two would be cool. Some of my best comic memories were reading original X-O for the first time and I can't help but be grateful to the man for helping to bring it into the world. I think that VEI seems more than happy to work with the original creators when it is possible, but I understand why it is harder to work with some rather than others. It's hard to listen to a person who is memememe all the time- The whole cast I was like ---> C'mon man, talk about the industry, things you like, influences, world events, etc. Promote yourself by not promoting yourself for once.

It is disheartening to hear that he would only do something if it is financially viable and not because he loves doing it. I don't understand when artists make the change from creatives to... I guess "businessmen" is the nice way to put it. Since he says that he has plenty of money and travels the world, why doesn't he just do something because he wants to give back to the fans? Because he enjoys making more money selling stuff at cons? Just kind of sad really.

Really, I would be fine too if he never did any work with the new Valiant, but I would also be curious to see what he could do if he actually decided to see it as a fun collaboration rather than a bid for power or whatever. He needs to appreciate that entire new generations of people are being exposed to these characters through comixology and the new company's efforts to get the old and new out there. They have done a great job of making the deluxe editions and frankly I am surprised at some of the old titles that they have bothered to digitize. He has more books out there with his name it them than he would otherwise. How does he want to be remembered is what I am getting at I guess - a team player or a egomaniac?

Sorry, after putting in the time to listen to that I felt that I needed to vent a bit.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

The instant they started naming him as a creator of the IP they own, he would be filing a lawsuit for a portion of all company proceeds.

VEI doesn't need Bob Layton any more than it needs Turok, which is to say Not At All.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Wow ... now I have to listen!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

depluto wrote:Wow ... now I have to listen!
I listened for around 12 minutes. It was that horrible but his incessant cackling was annoying. As was his constant refrain "I'm in Hollywood now so I don't really need comics."

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

I wonder what bob thinks his *SQUEE* smells like. :lol:

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

jmatt wrote:
I listened for around 12 minutes. It was that horrible but his incessant cackling was annoying. As was his constant refrain "I'm in Hollywood now so I don't really need comics."
:lol: Suurree, he doesn't need comics. Which is why he was at New York COMIC Con this year doing commissions!! And has done a few covers for Dynamite. :lol:

Sir Sandrick

Post by Sir Sandrick »

Beware Cyclops wrote:
jmatt wrote:
:lol: Suurree, he doesn't need comics. Which is why he was at New York COMIC Con this year doing commissions!! And has done a few covers for Dynamite. :lol:
Actually, I think that the second half was much better than the first because he actually gets into talking about his views on the industry and some of his experiences instead only self promoting. (he still manages to sneak that in there at every opportunity though) It' still eye roll worthy at times and I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of it, but it is always interesting to hear what an industry veteran thinks about the current state of things. It sounds like he desperately wants to get a foothold in film and he is just trying to get any action he can out in Hollywood.

I have met him before at a convention and he was a really nice guy. Very personable because he knows that he needs to be. However, at times I felt more as if he was talking "at" me than talking "to" me though. Not the same experience as when you talk to any of the current Valiant creators. As almost anyone can attest, when you talk to Dysart or Venditti at a con about their books you really feel like you are talking to a mother about their children or something. They give off this grateful vibe that makes you feel cherished as a reader and not simply a walking dollar sign.

Not bad as a background listen if you can get past the first 15 min.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Beware Cyclops wrote:
jmatt wrote:
It was more than a few covers...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

betterthanezra
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Sir Sandrick wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Actually, I think that the second half was much better than the first because he actually gets into talking about his views on the industry and some of his experiences instead only self promoting. (he still manages to sneak that in there at every opportunity though) It' still eye roll worthy at times and I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of it, but it is always interesting to hear what an industry veteran thinks about the current state of things. It sounds like he desperately wants to get a foothold in film and he is just trying to get any action he can out in Hollywood.

I have met him before at a convention and he was a really nice guy. Very personable because he knows that he needs to be. However, at times I felt more as if he was talking "at" me than talking "to" me though. Not the same experience as when you talk to any of the current Valiant creators. As almost anyone can attest, when you talk to Dysart or Venditti at a con about their books you really feel like you are talking to a mother about their children or something. They give off this grateful vibe that makes you feel cherished as a reader and not simply a walking dollar sign.

Not bad as a background listen if you can get past the first 15 min.
I'm not defending the man but there is a BIG difference talking to Dysart or Venditti because they are currently getting to work on those books. Layton hasn't had a real regular gig in YEARS. That could be just because of him or editors have had enough of him at either big companies (namely Marvel). When he was knee deep into writing for Valiant 20 years ago I'm sure his passion was very similar to that of Dysart or Venditti has today when you approach them at a Con. Time man it can do crazy things, I just think he's out of touch.

To me the older he gets the crankier he becomes. He definitely feels like he's getting the short end of the stick in everything right now and to be honest I can't tell if it's really something he brought on himself.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I think a lot of the guys who were around do during the glut if the 90s got to where they expected the gravy train would never run out and that they believed their own hype. The ones that accepted the gravy train ran out and the carriage had turned back into a pumpkin adjusted and continue to work to this day. The others (such as Layton, obviously) have spent their lives chasing that fantasy world of comic creators as rock stars.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Sir Sandrick

Post by Sir Sandrick »

I'm not defending the man but there is a BIG difference talking to Dysart or Venditti because they are currently getting to work on those books. Layton hasn't had a real regular gig in YEARS. That could be just because of him or editors have had enough of him at either big companies (namely Marvel). When he was knee deep into writing for Valiant 20 years ago I'm sure his passion was very similar to that of Dysart or Venditti has today when you approach them at a Con. Time man it can do crazy things, I just think he's out of touch.

To me the older he gets the crankier he becomes. He definitely feels like he's getting the short end of the stick in everything right now and to be honest I can't tell if it's really something he brought on himself.

-Brian
Yeah, that totally makes sense. I WISH that I had the funds and capability to get to one of the conventions back in the 90's to meet the Valiant guys.

I was in Arizona at the time and the only thing that I could make it to was the a Mcfarlane con in Phoenix... Spawn Con??? Don't remember. THAT left something to be desired. Talk about a BIG ego. One of the worst experiences ever for a 14 yr old with $15 to spend. I think about every biker gang and Hell's angel in the Southwest was there to support the Spawn machine. A fight actually broke out in front of me in the signing line and I saw this guy get his head split open and dragged away. This was around the time that Mcfarlane started making major $$$ on the toy line and was bragging about buying crap like Madonna's dresses and World Series baseballs. Yuck.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

doodlebird wrote:. Oh to have seen what VH1 was to be had it followed it's originals dogmas...
Is anyone else like me and wishing they'd do a revisit at some point and show what happened to VH1 in real time and show us whats happened.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but from hanging out and talking with Bob for Hours, I know his attitude is because he invested so much into developing so many characters over the years, just to see others continuously profit from his work. This is true with most artists and writers, but most of them also don't end up running companies and then essentially fading away. So I can see how he would end up jaded.

Because of that he generally doesn't want to explore his old work again (unless it's bringing a decent amount of cash of course :lol: ), and is probably more upset at this point in life at just not having a good opportunity to work on something new again that he would get credit for and could long term profit from.

I also think interviews are probably almost always mostly a bad idea for Bob because he can talk a lot of *SQUEE*, :lol: In my opinion he's a pretty cool and decent guy at the end of the day, but I can see how he could easily leave a bad impression on people that didn't know him better or how he talks.

I'm looking forward to hearing this interview though and seeing how it meshes with my own experience with the guy.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

dornwolf wrote:
doodlebird wrote:. Oh to have seen what VH1 was to be had it followed it's originals dogmas...
Is anyone else like me and wishing they'd do a revisit at some point and show what happened to VH1 in real time and show us whats happened.
Wasn't that Rai 0? :? :lol: Or did you mean the Bob Layton era or Post Bob aka Acclaim era? :?
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.