Bob Layton interview in Wayne´s podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre
Re: Bob Layton interview in Wayne´s podcast

Post by rkjock1 »

betterthanezra wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:
jmatt wrote:
depluto wrote:Wow ... now I have to listen!
I listened for around 12 minutes. It was that horrible but his incessant cackling was annoying. As was his constant refrain "I'm in Hollywood now so I don't really need comics."
:lol: Suurree, he doesn't need comics. Which is why he was at New York COMIC Con this year doing commissions!! And has done a few covers for Dynamite. :lol:
It was more than a few covers...

-Brian
It was 9. I know this because he insisted on telling us. Just before he launched into his story about how he only did them to *SQUEE* Dinesh off. Swell guy, that one.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

rkjock1 wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:
Beware Cyclops wrote:
jmatt wrote:
depluto wrote:Wow ... now I have to listen!
I listened for around 12 minutes. It was that horrible but his incessant cackling was annoying. As was his constant refrain "I'm in Hollywood now so I don't really need comics."
:lol: Suurree, he doesn't need comics. Which is why he was at New York COMIC Con this year doing commissions!! And has done a few covers for Dynamite. :lol:
It was more than a few covers...

-Brian
It was 9. I know this because he insisted on telling us. Just before he launched into his story about how he only did them to *SQUEE* Dinesh off. Swell guy, that one.
That's true he didn't hide the fact he did so many to back slap VEI he pretty much made that very clear in every conversation i had with him when he was producing covers for Dynamite...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Aram wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
doodlebird wrote:. Oh to have seen what VH1 was to be had it followed it's originals dogmas...
Is anyone else like me and wishing they'd do a revisit at some point and show what happened to VH1 in real time and show us whats happened.
Wasn't that Rai 0? :? :lol: Or did you mean the Bob Layton era or Post Bob aka Acclaim era? :?
You could do both since they have the rights show what's happened with Acclaim and VH1.

While Rai #0 would be the blueprint time constantly flows things change. Just because they said that was the future doesn't mean something couldn't come along and shunt it off into a different direction.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

lorddunlow wrote:I think a lot of the guys who were around do during the glut if the 90s got to where they expected the gravy train would never run out and that they believed their own hype. The ones that accepted the gravy train ran out and the carriage had turned back into a pumpkin adjusted and continue to work to this day. The others (such as Layton, obviously) have spent their lives chasing that fantasy world of comic creators as rock stars.
Are comic book groupies a real thing? I heard Grant Morrison maybe saying they exist. The very idea sounds utterly bizarre.

This guy is the Michael Beasley of comic books.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

betterthanezra wrote:That's true he didn't hide the fact he did so many to back slap VEI he pretty much made that very clear in every conversation i had with him when he was producing covers for Dynamite...
That was off-putting. And it wasn't even that great of a burn; I thought his crowing about it made it come off as just a petty, *SQUEE* kind of move. Valiant will be great without him but if he does a couple of covers down the road ... fine.

I don't know why he wants those creator credits so bad, I don't recall the original Valiant making a big deal of Bob created this and Bob created that. If he wanted to plaster his name on every single character and costume maybe he should have done it when he was helping to run the show.

I've met him a couple of times at shows. He usually comes off as very gracious and friendly. And this podcast was very candid, which is nice. I'd love to hear him talk some more about the industry.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

I agree with him, no Iron Man 4.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

rkjock1 wrote:It was 9. I know this because he insisted on telling us. Just before he launched into his story about how he only did them to *SQUEE* Dinesh off. Swell guy, that one.
Yeah, that was just dumb. If I were Dino, I'd consider that bridge burned. But he kept talking about how good his relationship is with VEI, so who knows.

rkjock1
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

jmatt wrote:
rkjock1 wrote:It was 9. I know this because he insisted on telling us. Just before he launched into his story about how he only did them to *SQUEE* Dinesh off. Swell guy, that one.
Yeah, that was just dumb. If I were Dino, I'd consider that bridge burned. But he kept talking about how good his relationship is with VEI, so who knows.
He also assured Wayne that VH1 had hundreds of thousands of READERS not BUYERS. The man struggles to seperate reality from his fantasy.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Those hundreds of thousands of dedicated readers sure threw a lot of their post-Shooter Valiants into the quarter bins with alarming frequency...