Can Quantum and Woody exist in the bigger Valiant universe?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: Can Quantum and Woody exist in the bigger Valiant univer

Post by jeremycoe »

Aomalle27 wrote:do you really see Q&W crossing over with Harbinger, XO, Shadowman or XO as being beneficial or worthwhile? I see it more as degrading those books. Q&W going at it with harada? You'd have to impart a cartoony, ridiculousness in Valiants chief baddie, and that'd be a shame
I think it's more likely that Q & W would be written in a more serious fashion if they were to encounter Harada than the other way around. Serious characters can be in not-so-serious stories and the opposite is true. It's more about writers understanding characters and writing them properly.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Aomalle27 wrote:do you really see Q&W crossing over with Harbinger, XO, Shadowman or XO as being beneficial or worthwhile? I see it more as degrading those books. Q&W going at it with harada? You'd have to impart a cartoony, ridiculousness in Valiants chief baddie, and that'd be a shame
with the right writer anything is possible!

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Quantum I see as easily fitting in within the greater VEI Universe.
Woody---not so much. I don't even know what a writer could do to make it possible AND still allow for fans of the character to not feel he'd been white washed in order to 'fit in'.

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

exactly Youd either need to fundamentally change other characters to fit into the Q&W form; or bice versa, change Q&W to conform to the greater VEI template. Neither a good option imho, although Im not saying Q&W cant be beneficial to VEI the publisher, just not so much to the Valiant universe

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

In VH1? Yes

In Shooters Unity/Pre-Unity Valiant - Quantum and Woody would not fit in that Universe

In this Universe? I don't see why not

You have Eternal Warrior running around in garb from his Mesopatamia days fighting a bunch of, fairly ridiculous looking Aliens, with a Battle Axe.

The original Ninjak was much more like an assassin .. so the Swords and Ninja persona made more sense. In this version - he is more like Super Ninja

I think the ship has sailed on any sense of grounded realism in a Superhero Universe ... This Valiant is focusing more on escapism and trying to outdo Marvell and DC with even bigger bolder, over the top, storytelling.

(I still love the stories obviously .. but just feel its no longer in the spirit of what Valiant was about when it started.)
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

bygranddesign wrote:In VH1? Yes

In Shooters Unity/Pre-Unity Valiant - Quantum and Woody would not fit in that Universe

In this Universe? I don't see why not

You have Eternal Warrior running around in garb from his Mesopatamia days fighting a bunch of, fairly ridiculous looking Aliens, with a Battle Axe.

The original Ninjak was much more like an assassin .. so the Swords and Ninja persona made more sense. In this version - he is more like Super Ninja

I think the ship has sailed on any sense of grounded realism in a Superhero Universe ... This Valiant is focusing more on escapism and trying to outdo Marvell and DC with even bigger bolder, over the top, storytelling.

(I still love the stories obviously .. but just feel its no longer in the spirit of what Valiant was about when it started.)
my thoughts exactly. these books are pretty silly.

i'm thinking a more appropriate title for the thread would be something like "I'm not a fan of quantum and woody so i don't want them to mess up the rest of the VEI books. would you not agree?" :?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:
with the right writer anything is possible!
The Chew/Revival crossover proves this. It was true to both sets of characters, and that is extremely silly/cartoonish mixed with extremely dark/serious.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.