Too many covers

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Too many covers

Post by kjjohanson »

I don't always keep up with all of the solicitations, so I wasn't aware until today how many variants were out there for Unity #5. It just got to the point for me where it's too much. A while back I figured if I couldn't keep up with all of the incentive variants, I could at least have a complete collection of all of the cover-price variants, but I'm not shelling out $20 for a single issue every arc. I can see doing a number of covers for a series launch, as a special event, but once every four issues? I think I'll pass.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: Too many covers

Post by ShadowTuga »

kjjohanson wrote:I don't always keep up with all of the solicitations, so I wasn't aware until today how many variants were out there for Unity #5. It just got to the point for me where it's too much. A while back I figured if I couldn't keep up with all of the incentive variants, I could at least have a complete collection of all of the cover-price variants, but I'm not shelling out $20 for a single issue every arc. I can see doing a number of covers for a series launch, as a special event, but once every four issues? I think I'll pass.
That was my main reason as well: Unity 5 solicits were a bit of a "that's it for me"- I understand the BIG numbers for #1, but every arc is overkill for my wallet), it doesn't feel special if every arc start issue has 4, 5 different covers. Plus, I have now a full smallbox of JUST VEI variants. I think I have done my part int this part of the fandom. I already cancelled my "EVERYTHING YOU CANGET ME FOR COVER" policy at my LCS, I will get variants I DO like and feel different (chromium, no pun intended). But at some point, it does become too much money for the same books. I love the books, I collect them(1 copy)- end of story.

Last year I left some months of Valiant variants kept in the pull, because I was handling some urgent financial issues and could not get them until that was cleared. Result: when i went to get them it was almost 500 euros in comics. I'm ok with that, I chose to buy them myself.
But what I think that burned me was that these were all VALIANT comics I already had read. I could buy a *SQUEE* car with that money. :| Not that I would, but I guess my point is- I SUPPORT VALIANT but don't want/can't afford more and more and more and more Variants. Just the ones I like. *SQUEE* for me, there are a lot of amazing covers coming.

So, I totally see your POV.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:I don't always keep up with all of the solicitations, so I wasn't aware until today how many variants were out there for Unity #5. It just got to the point for me where it's too much. A while back I figured if I couldn't keep up with all of the incentive variants, I could at least have a complete collection of all of the cover-price variants, but I'm not shelling out $20 for a single issue every arc. I can see doing a number of covers for a series launch, as a special event, but once every four issues? I think I'll pass.
Yeah, I cracked open #5 and saw the list of cover artists and was surprised at how many there were. I like the fact that I can have a choice of a cover for the $3.99 pricetag, but it doesn't compel me to purchase more than a single copy in most cases.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

All I need is one. :thumb:

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Unity #5 was definitely variant overkill

I think they were all nice covers but I settled on 3 of them - Crain, Mico and Bernard.

Crain and Micos covers were brilliant .. Worth the 8 bucks to me. Bagged and boarded at the LCS and will keep them that way. The Bernard cover is also sweet but that one was my reader copy. The other 2 covers i might pick up down the road if I can get them for a buck. The 2 incentives are pretty sweet too but I'll be patient and see if I can get them on the cheap down the line.

So ive already been cutting back on the variants for awhile now - just picking the covers that really shine for me.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

I know how you feel. One cover is really all you need just to read the story.

If you really want to save $, here are some options:

(i'm sure you already know this since Midtown is local to you, but just FYI)

If you are looking for low price points for just single issues....

go to http://dcbservice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (they have monthly Valiant bundles at 50% off cover price)

***MARCH 2014 Valiant Bundle*** *Special Discount* / 8 Valiant issues for 50% off!
Bloodshot & Hard Corps #22 LaRosa cvr
Unity #07 Hairsine cvr
X-O Manowar #25 Kevic-Djurdjevic cvr
Archer & Armstrong #20 Crystal cvr
Shadowman End Times #2 Dekal cvr
Quantum & Woody #10 Kano cvr
Harbinger #23 Suayan cvr
Rai #01 Crain cvr
$16.46 + $6.95 SHIPPING = $23.53 ($3.20 per issue)
*Use the code HIDEOUS8 or WD8 to save 8% on your first order.

or

http://www.midtowncomics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Midtown Comics will also be around $24 shipped if you use them or free shipping with $75 order.
With Midtown, you can select different available covers that aren't ratio type variants / incentives.

or

Also if you aren't in a hurry and want to save some $ go with Trades/Hardcovers.
4-5 Issue TPB / Trades cost $8.99-$12.50 on Amazon (MSRP of $14.99) Free shipping with Prime or $25 or more ($2.38 per issue avg)
12 Issue Hardcovers are $26.15-$29.99 on Amazon (MSRP of $39.99) Free shipping with Prime or $25 or more ($2.18-$2.5 per issue)

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

To be honest, I thought the plethora of variants on Unity #1 was overkill, and a step 'too far', but hey, they press on. :wink:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

People stop requesting the variants through their lcs, the show owners stop over ordering top get them. That is not good for valiant in monthly sales.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

jedimarley wrote:People stop requesting the variants through their lcs, the show owners stop over ordering top get them. That is not good for valiant in monthly sales.
That's not the variants we are talking. Cover price variants. A/B, Pullbox, variants for no reason. NOT the incentive ones.
And my lcs only orders VEI for me, actually.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

FormerReader wrote:All I need is one. :thumb:
This is how I feel. If you get the Deluxe Editions you get all the covers in them anyway. :P

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

drmirage wrote:I know how you feel. One cover is really all you need just to read the story.

go to http://dcbservice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (they have monthly Valiant bundles at 50% off cover price)

***MARCH 2014 Valiant Bundle*** *Special Discount* / 8 Valiant issues for 50% off!
Unity #07 Hairsine cvr
Harbinger #23 Suayan cvr
Rai #01 Crain cvr

or

Midtown Comics will also be around $24 shipped if you use them or free shipping with $75 order.
With Midtown, you can select different available covers that aren't ratio type variants / incentives.

or

Also if you aren't in a hurry and want to save some $ go with Trades/Hardcovers.
4-5 Issue TPB / Trades cost $8.99-$12.50 on Amazon (MSRP of $14.99) Free shipping with Prime or $25 or more ($2.38 per issue avg)
12 Issue Hardcovers are $26.15-$29.99 on Amazon (MSRP of $39.99) Free shipping with Prime or $25 or more ($2.18-$2.5 per issue)
I've actually only used Midtown's online service a couple of times. mainly because I like to see the books I'm buying.

Mostly the issue isn't about affordability. I make a decent enough living that I could buy the five variants, but it's more the issue of overkill. I'll buy 5 issues of Unity of you're giving me five new stories. I'll buy pullbox variant covers if you're doing something special or different. But five covers just because it's the start of a new arc? I'll pass. As mentioned, I might be able to grab them in a dollar box at some point, if others react the same. I bought the cover I like most and will continue to read the story, but I'm not chasing every variant to have a complete collection any more.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

ShadowTuga wrote:
jedimarley wrote:People stop requesting the variants through their lcs, the show owners stop over ordering top get them. That is not good for valiant in monthly sales.
That's not the variants we are talking. Cover price variants. A/B, Pullbox, variants for no reason. NOT the incentive ones.
And my lcs only orders VEI for me, actually.
I see. But he will be ordering less

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

kjjohanson wrote:
drmirage wrote:I know how you feel. One cover is really all you need just to read the story.

Unity #07 Hairsine cvr
Harbinger #23 Suayan cvr
Rai #01 Crain cvr

or

or

I've actually only used Midtown's online service a couple of times. mainly because I like to see the books I'm buying.
I've been using DCBS for a few months now and you can see every different cover/issue through their site as well, so you know exactly what you're getting. I'm very happy with their service so far. I get precisely what I pick with no surprises and a predictable pattern of how the process works for when billing and shipping all happen.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

Agreed, I gave up last month... It's a losing battle for me. There are too many variant covers and I'm sorry but I just can't afford the prices people are asking for them. It was fun while it lasted but I had to give up as well :(

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

I gave up the month XO Manowar $15 came out. Now, in addition to buying the books as the come out, I get the trades as well (at a 25% discount thanks to my LCS!).

This way, I get the stories as they come out, I get the covers in trade, and I'm supporting valiant with some extra money that I can afford!

In the end, I'm ripping all these books in half and binding them into custom hardcovers, so whether I get the variant covers at full price or tpb, it makes no difference to me!

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Unity #07 Hairsine cvr
Harbinger #23 Suayan cvr
Rai #01 Crain cvr

or

or

I've been using DCBS for a few months now and you can see every different cover/issue through their site as well, so you know exactly what you're getting. I'm very happy with their service so far. I get precisely what I pick with no surprises and a predictable pattern of how the process works for when billing and shipping all happen.
I was thinking more condition-wise. There have been too many Valiant issues that have some sort of common wrinkling issue on the cover. In a store, I can pick a better than average copy.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:

Unity #07 Hairsine cvr
Harbinger #23 Suayan cvr
Rai #01 Crain cvr

or

or

Once I did the math, DCBS was the clear winner for me. No more paying sales tax and no more 25 mile weekly drives to my LCS. I also quit buying all the variants, except for the number 1 on-going titles. For example, I just ordered all 9 issues of Rai for $72.00 through DCBS. :o Can't beat it! :thumb:

Mkb28