RAI #0 REJECTED VERSION

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
RAI #0 REJECTED VERSION

Post by valiantdude »

http://allthingsvaliant.blogspot.com/20 ... rsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

never seen this before today...may have been posted b4 but... pretty cool to see.. 7 pages and a cover, laphams version way better but..still interesting...

always wanted to know what the shooter version of rai #0 and unity #1 wouldve been like...

does vei have any weird archival unreleased stuff? (besides the 2 q+ws)

i wonder

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: RAI #0 REJECTED VERSION

Post by BugsySig »

I only discovered it a few months ago myself and emailed Joe St. Pierre to get an idea as to why there was a change in course, etc. I haven't heard back from him as of yet.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Thanks for posting! This is the first time I've seen this. I love the cover they went with, but that cover is still really cool.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

and its crazy that jim shooter drew the iconic rai#0 cover... always thought it was lapham

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I was lucky enough to pick up the unpublished cover (along with a few other pieces) from Joe St. Pierre a couple years ago:
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiec ... ece=723695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've considered having it inked, on a separate piece, to see how it would turn out.
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

sonicdan wrote:I was lucky enough to pick up the unpublished cover (along with a few other pieces) from Joe St. Pierre a couple years ago:
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiec ... ece=723695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've considered having it inked, on a separate piece, to see how it would turn out.
DAN

Dan,
That is sweet! I hate to admit I'm a little jealous.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Anyone else have interest in cobbling together a definitive version of Rai #0? As a fan project.

It seems there are at least 3 versions-

1. The original by Shooter and St. Pierre, 7 penciled pages + cover have been discovered. Seems like a very different beginning at least.

2. The rewrite by Shooter that St. Pierre penciled the first page and was then given to Lapham to draw.

3. The published version that used Lapham's art but was re-scripted by Layton.

Let me know if I'm missing anything or have something wrong.

Would be great to find Shooter's notes and cobble together some kind of Director's cut or something. Even just digitally re-lettering the published version with Shooter's script would be cool to see if that still exists and if we could use it.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

when i read this i was like... this is so cool, ive never seen this before.. then it says that i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then.
still do!!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:07:49 am when i read this i was like... this is so cool, ive never seen this before.. then it says that i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then.
still do!!
Lol :lol:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Ryan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48:45 am
valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:07:49 am when i read this i was like... this is so cool, ive never seen this before.. then it says that i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then.
still do!!
Lol :lol:
Mystery solved.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

DARE program much?

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:17:12 am DARE program much?
The problem isn't the guy who admits that he doesn't remember his own posts because he smokes a lot of weed.

The problem is the guy who says "yes, that's probably it."

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

you also forgot you dm'd me about my webtv email. totally denied it many years later, then i had to show you your own DM to prove it. if you dont smoke weed, whats you excuse for forgettin something you posted years before? cmon dude stop hating on weed because your trying to disprove something else, that you still dont have any proof for. stealing comics meant for stores? thats luda

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:51:16 am you also forgot you dm'd me about my webtv email. totally denied it many years later, then i had to show you your own DM to prove it. if you dont smoke weed, whats you excuse for forgettin something you posted years before? cmon dude stop hating on weed because your trying to disprove something else, that you still dont have any proof for. stealing comics meant for stores? thats luda
You're asking what is my excuse for forgetting a 2002 private message sent on my own messageboard where I have thousands of members and over 20,000 posts of my own?

What is my excuse for forgetting a 2002 private message about an email address that I had a question about when my current inbox has 29,532 unread (mostly spam) emails?

What is my excuse for forgetting a 2002 private message from a prior version of this messageboard which now has more than 1,000,000 posts that I have been the administrator for since 2004?

What is YOUR excuse for forgetting what you had for breakfast that morning in 2002 when I sent you a private message about your email address?

Huh, what is your excuse for that?

Oh, I know.

No one gives a rats buttocks about either of those facts, and it means nothing to anyone anywhere in the world if it's completely forgotten.

That's both of our excuses.

P.S. I don't know what I had for breakfast that morning either. I think it's all the weed I've never smoked. I'm the one with the problem.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

the message wasnt from 02 it was about 02, i sent it in 2012.. coinicedntally i posted the rai#0 thing in 2013.. hmmm

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:06:05 am the message wasnt from 02 it was about 02, i sent it in 2012.. coinicedntally i posted the rai#0 thing in 2013.. hmmm
Still no rats buttocks given.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

wow you so forget things sometimes too? whoa! is it weed? or maybe just normal human behaviour

greg

Post by greg »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:15:50 am wow you so forget things sometimes too? whoa! is it weed? or maybe just normal human behaviour
I don't know what your point is supposed to be.

I don't remember an insignificant detail about a ten year old private message asking a question about an email address.

Therefore...

The moon landing was faked? John Harvey Oswald didn't act alone? Thousands of counterfeit Valiant books must exist?

All sound like logical conclusions based on my inability to remember something unimportant and unconnected to any of them.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This begs the question, has anyone tried reading Rai 0.... on weed? :hm:

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jakgrimm »

So on the cover that is Gilad and old Gilad on either side of the sword right? And BWS initials by the Harby shuttle (??) on the left referencing psi-lords? Good stuff
Time to take a dump. -Torque

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

And BWS in the panel with the Ball of Japan!
Time to take a dump. -Torque

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:37:33 am So on the cover that is Gilad and old Gilad on either side of the sword right? And BWS initials by the Harby shuttle (??) on the left referencing psi-lords? Good stuff
Can't tell if that's the 2 Gilads, probably? BWS in this case means black with stars, unfortunately.

I'm really intrigued by this original Rai 0. Seems like the original Bloodshot (Rising Spirit) was perhaps more similar to the original Rai. There's no mention of the Blood of Heroes or nanite blood. I wonder when this change was made, to change not only Rising Spirit but also make the future Rais have Bloodshot powers instead of the Rai power. I always thought it was a dumb retcon in Rai 0 that Grandmother modeled the first Rai after Bloodshot instead of just the Japanese flag. :?

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

This is amazing. Thanks for posting it
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

From an interview with Kevin Vanhook
Sutton: How did the creation of Bloodshot come about?

VanHook: A complex question, but the nutshell version is that Bob Layton, Don Perlin and I created the character. Bob brought aspects like the idea of utilizing nanites— I created the Angelo Mortalli character and the Mafia connection and the two of us developed Project Rising Spirit with Don handling the art chores and doing design work. I pushed to keep Bloodshot’s memories a blank slate— frankly to give me time to figure out who he was.
I always thought the nanites sounded like a Layton idea. So Shooter's version (at least initially) was for Rising Spirit to be Rai the first, presumably with more of a Rai energy/martial arts powers. But if Shooter wrote the draft that Lapham drew that heavily featured the blood he must have gotten on board with it. Or Layton rewrote it totally only using some of the elements of Shooter's first version. :hm:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I found this quote from the Valiant Masters Bloodshot hardcover:
When it was agreed upon that Valiant needed a “butt kicking” character who fought by his own rules, Jim Shooter and I went to dinner and worked on fleshing out his character. After a few of these sessions Jim wrote up the proposal and I created this drawing that was inked by the great cartoonist Stan Drake. The character was to be a superior fighter with all types of weapons and no super powers. All of the arms and other equipment were not fictitious but based on real weapons. Our initial conception was revamped to become that fellow we all know and love... BLOODSHOT!

Don Perlin
August, 2012
So he (Rising Spirit) was just going to be a great fighter with no super powers. Shooter has said he wanted VALIANT to all be powers of the mind, that's why I always thought the nanite blood was a Layton idea.

It's interesting because the published version of Rai 0 the entire plot is focused on the Blood of Heroes. Makes me wonder if only a few things were kept from the first version.