CGC Rai #3

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ex-collector
Working on the first full appearance of me
CGC Rai #3

Post by ex-collector »

While I do not collect like I did some years ago, I love the cover to Rai #3. Rai was also one of my favorites, and I have all pre-unity Rai. CGC says the best to date is 9.8. OK, who has one and how much should I pay for it?

Mr.V
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Mr.V »

I have a non-miscut, raw 9.6-9.8 I was thinking of having graded. The other day, a 9.6 sold on Ebay for $100+. If you want it, you should make me an OBSCENE offer to part with it! :D

Peter Parker
No Longer A Registered User

Post by Peter Parker »

:( Ex-Collector...

what you ask is part of the problem collectors have trying to understand the CGC, and its influence on the industry as a whole. Remember, forget "what" you should pay! CGC pricing fluctuates often on similar books, and therefore allows one person to sometimes acquire the same book another has, for $20, $30 less.

Ultimately, my PERSONAL philosophy regarding my buying of graded books goes like this: if you really WANT it, BUY IT!

Of course, financial restrictions will obviously prohibit some from taking such an approach. However, if you sit around trying to debate over and over and over...the "right" price to pay for a certain book, it WILL be gone to another buyer. My opinion is that one can NEVER, I repeat...NEVER overpay for something they can:

1)AFFORD
2)DESIRE
3)ENJOY

if these 3 criteria are covered, it really doesn't matter what you pay for it, ultimately its for your PERSONAL enjoyment, NOT for financial gain. That's how to collect, and if your books go up in value? super! but never forget WHY we ALL have loved Comic Books all these years(some longer than others...;) which is to READ them, and immerse ourselves in a few hours of fantasy. The dollar value of the books is really only a bonus of the hobby in the end. :wink:

Sir Bryan of New Yorkton!
"Leisure, is the mother of philosophy"

Thomas Hobbes

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

If you're looking for past sales to give "some indication" of a good price...
Here ya go...

Average sales per book:
http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/cgcsales.asp

Individual sales (sorted by most recent date):
http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/cgcsalesdate.asp

ex-collector

Post by ex-collector »

PP:

Greg had it right, I was just wondering about how much the market is getting for them right now. I really don't care about price so much. I totally agree with you that it is about enjoyment and has nothing to do (for me) with increase in value etc... I invest in the stock market for that.

Greg, thank you for the links.

On the CGC thing, I am looking for such graded book because a six years ago my wife bought be an Amazing Spider Man #129 (knowing I was/am a Punisher fan and heard me talk about wanting a mint copy of it.) She suprised me with a professionally framed copy and said "it better be mint!" b/c that is what the comic dealer told her it was.

You can guess how it would really grade.