New Trades for $15? Isn't that too much.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How much would you pay for a Valiant TPB?

$15 - It's a fair price for 4 issues
40%
$10 - $15 is too much for 4 issues
46%
$5 - I'm broke. I can barely afford $5
9%
$0 - I don't buy trades
6%

Total votes: 35

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Re: New Trades for $15? Isn't that too much.

Post by Aram »

paradise wrote:
MoonChild wrote:At 9.99, i'd buy em all. At 14.99 I wont be buying them anymore.
Valiant is following an INDUSTRY MODEL with $9.99 intro trades and standard priced, $14.99, trades after that. It has worked for Y The Last Man, Fables, Saga, and at least 10-20 others I can find for you within a few min looking.

Trades are not a product you buy, in general, after reading singles. They are a separate line for people who do not generally read single issues. I know many here are collecting both but that's not the norm, most of my XO Volume 1 sales were to people who'd never read it before. $9.99 price point gets them to try it, but you don't need to keep underselling to keep them coming, it's not worth it, companies don't make much on $9.99 volumes. Even DC has changed the price on Y vol 1 and Fables vol 1 to $14.99 after the first few printings.

9.99 is what most businesses call customer acquisition cost. You lose money but hopefully make it up on later offerings.
I agree with raising it from 9.99, however at the same time those other properties you mentioned generally priced their tpbs at a savings over the regular issues at a savings equal to getting one free issue at cover price. If VEI followed likewise the 4 issue arcs would be 11.99 and 5 issue arcs 15.99.

Personally I would be more likely to jump on at those prices. As it is I can't complain since amazon has everything for preorder currently at $10.

I just feel bad for the lcs who wont get my limited funds on these, since they cant compete.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Truth be told, to me it doesn't matter what the cover price for these books are.

One can get these from Amazon, DCBS, Instock Trades for less than MSRP/SRP.

My LCS offers 25% discount on pre-ordered books.

I know its a free market out there, but someone needs to make $.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

For me, it's fine. I have decided to wait from now on, and will only be buying the trades. I waited 20 years for Valiant to return, so I can wait a bit to read the books now.

I like the idea of saving a little, and I think today's storytelling is set up better for trades. The old days of reading a mini-story in every book (on every page of some early valiant) appears to be long gone.

I always hope for little extras, and the additional book that TOV provided were really cool.