Most of you will hate me for even suggesting this...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Most of you will hate me for even suggesting this...

Post by Rai-fan »

I could see Troublemakers and Trinity Angels working.

Seriously--did any of you actually read these books? Like everyone else, I didn't buy them off the stands, but I did go back and read a majority of the VH2 titles later on.

Shadowman and Bloodshot were arguably better than the VH1 versions (well, for Bloodshot, and for Shadowman post issue 12 or so).

And the worst thing about Troublemakers is that it was basically Harbinger. Yes, Quantum & Woody gets acclaim (hah!) because it was offbeat, but some of the other books were not bad.

Not defending Magnus, X-O or Ninjak, as all were abominations, but to dismiss the whole line when they could be done really really well under new creative teams is idiotic.

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

I wouldn't mind seeing Bob Hall do some more Armed & Dangerous, but I definitely wouldn't want it trying to tie in to the current Valiant universe. Keep it separate - kind of like DC did with Vertigo for so long.

Of course, in my opinion, Valiant also needs to get their main universe up and going before they start thinking about offshoots.
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
carter3175 wrote:I want to see Michael LeRoi!!!! Bring him back in some manner in the new Shadowman series!!! :D :D :D
Ditto.
x3
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

hulk181man

Post by hulk181man »

If it can be done well with great story and art I'm all for it. FWIW, I believe a creative person w/strong storytelling skills can make most any character interesting.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I have to admit, I really liked the artwork on Troublemakers. Haven't read the few copies I own in 15 years so I don't remember the stories.

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

I wanted to be the first but Chiclo already said it, we are seeing VH2 (acclaim) elements in the new line. I have always said that the hate toward the Acclaim relauch was a direct reaction to how soon it was done. Had there been a five or ten year gap, you all would have ate it up, desperate for more. The majority of those books were, and remain, better than what was being piled on us, twice a week, via birthquake, before the orignal line died. It was too soon, the market, fans and retailers were not ready to accept Valiant back into their good graces, no matter what. Even Quantum and Woody, as great and groundbreaking as it was, struggled to gain new readers.

Some amazing characters, concepts and stories can be grown from taking elements from the entire history of the valiant line and making a fresh approach to them. I don't think 18 book is too much, as long as they take time, expell the weeds from the garden as it grows and most importantly, continue to care about the books. As long as the story remains key in the minds and actions of VEI we, as fans, will win. That was the one great lesson Shooter brought to Valiant, story is king.

hulk181man

Post by hulk181man »

dellamorte wrote:I wanted to be the first but Chiclo already said it, we are seeing VH2 (acclaim) elements in the new line. I have always said that the hate toward the Acclaim relauch was a direct reaction to how soon it was done. Had there been a five or ten year gap, you all would have ate it up, desperate for more. The majority of those books were, and remain, better than what was being piled on us, twice a week, via birthquake, before the orignal line died. It was too soon, the market, fans and retailers were not ready to accept Valiant back into their good graces, no matter what. Even Quantum and Woody, as great and groundbreaking as it was, struggled to gain new readers.

Some amazing characters, concepts and stories can be grown from taking elements from the entire history of the valiant line and making a fresh approach to them. I don't think 18 book is too much, as long as they take time, expell the weeds from the garden as it grows and most importantly, continue to care about the books. As long as the story remains key in the minds and actions of VEI we, as fans, will win. That was the one great lesson Shooter brought to Valiant, story is king.
:thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

dellamorte wrote:I have always said that the hate toward the Acclaim relauch was a direct reaction to how soon it was done. Had there been a five or ten year gap, you all would have ate it up, desperate for more. ... It was too soon, the market, fans and retailers were not ready to accept Valiant back into their good graces, no matter what.
I don't know if we would have thought it was great, but yeah, yanking the rug out from under the reader base so dramatically certainly left little room for goodwill. And many of the story elements that rubbed readers the wrong way in the leadup to the changeover was nothing more than Valiant trying to shed the line of potential lawsuit exposure in anticipation of courting a buyout. Just my :twocents: