Valiant Comics mentioned on innerSPACE (tv)!!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Re: Calling all Canadian Valiant fans!!

Post by xodacia81 »

grendeljd wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Oh, and to grendeljd...a Habs fan? You aren't the only one 'round these here parts. I do think you guys are a ways from being Cup ready, but you've assembled a nice staff. Would be nicer if you had snagged Hartley instead of The Flames, but alas, I suppose Quebecer Bob wasn't French enough for Montreal.
Yeah, its not easy being green... :lol:

Actually, I myself am not a frenchman, which makes it difficult to like the Montreal organization & core local fan base sometimes... I don't like how they generally reacted to having Cunneyworth in there last year. I had french relatives around growing up, so I kind of inherited the team as my favourite. They have fallen far since '93...

Detroit is a class act organization, top to bottom. I hated it when they beat up on my other favourite team in '08, but revenge was served rather quickly in '09!!
I agree w you about the way the org and fanbase treats non-French. As for the Penguins...back in the day, I had two teams. Detroit and Pittsburgh. Then Lemiux retired and I focused soley on my first love, Detroit. I would have rooted for the Pens, except for two things: Crosby had a lot of growing up to do and the Penguin fanbase felt they were entitled even more than some of the loonier Detroit fans. No matter. 08 and 09 were fantastic Cup series. Oh, and thanks about Detroit. I think they treat the players damn well. Most recent cases in point: Brad Stuart, who was helped to go back to San Jose to be closer to his family, and Bryan Rufenach, a prospect who recently died from an accidental electrocution. My understanding is the Illitch family paid for the funeral.

*SQUEE*
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by *SQUEE* »

grendeljd wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Oh, and to grendeljd...a Habs fan? You aren't the only one 'round these here parts. I do think you guys are a ways from being Cup ready, but you've assembled a nice staff. Would be nicer if you had snagged Hartley instead of The Flames, but alas, I suppose Quebecer Bob wasn't French enough for Montreal.

Actually, I myself am not a frenchman, which makes it difficult to like the Montreal organization & core local fan base sometimes... I don't like how they generally reacted to having Cunneyworth in there last year. I had french relatives around growing up, so I kind of inherited the team as my favourite. They have fallen far since '93...

Detroit is a class act organization, top to bottom. I hated it when they beat up on my other favourite team in '08, but revenge was served rather quickly in '09!!
I am also a Habs fan. Very happy with our draft this year.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

*SQUEE* wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Yup. We'll see how Therrien does at the helm this time around with that ring on his finger...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

grendeljd wrote:
*SQUEE* wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Yup. We'll see how Therrien does at the helm this time around with that ring on his finger...
Therrien didn't win the Cup. Bylsma did.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Jus to bring this wild train screeching back onto its tracks...

I was very disappointed to watch innerSPACE this past Wednesday and see no mention of Bloodshot #1 during their 'On The Shelf' segment... Grrrr!!

Time to re-double our efforts here and loudly complain that we want to see Valiant books mentioned on the show!! ( followed by a very Canadian apology for being so rude about it :lol: )
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

still with you on it grendel :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:still with you on it grendel :thumb:
excellent, thanks!! :thumb:

I've sent them another email, expressing some disappointment that they didn't mention Valiant yet [especially the day Bloodshot #1 came out]. When & IF I hear back from them again, I'll post it up here.

Hopefully this will still work!! :hope:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

The latest progress in getting Valiant mentioned on innerSPACE... if anybody else feels motivated to write in to them, please do!!!

I think it would kick-*SQUEE* to get these folks to do a full segment on the return of Valiant!! I'll settle for seeing their comics mentioned in the On The Shelf segment for the sake of the exposure, but I'm shooting for the stars, here :D

Subject: RE: On The Shelf feature suggestion
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:39:36 +0000

Hi Josh,

Thank you for all these resources! The fact is, when we want to put together a feature about anything we have to get permission from the creator (or company) to show the work. We already have access worked out with some publishers, hence why we tend to feature those releases on New On the Shelf.

I have been forwarding your emails to the producer of the segment and I'm sure they will look into it when they get a chance. We'll have to miss August 8 because InnerSPACE will be on hiatus, but that definitely gives us time to get in touch with them before the next release after that. Thanks again!

SPACE

Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:31 PM
To: InnerSPACE
Subject: On The Shelf feature suggestion

Hello,

I emailed you about a month ago with a small suggestion for your On The Shelf feature, in particular the wednesday comics segment. I would really like to see Valiant comics mentioned, as they are having an epic relaunch of their comics this summer after a long hiatus. Since I last emailed you, two weeks that had Valiant releases have passed [Bloodshot #1, Harbinger #2 on July 18th & X-O Manowar #3 on July 25th] with no sign of them on your show.

I am just wondering, do you have to have some kind of agreement with the publisher in place to feature their books? Do they have to pay you to have their stuff mentioned? These guys are doing something really amazing by bringing their universe of characters back with really high production quality & a passion lacking at many other current comic publishers. Did you know the company was brought back to life by two fans of the original that had a strong, smartly financed game plan? They've been featured in a New York Times article;

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/busin ... wanted=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought putting a title in the On The Shelf feature would be easy, but to be honest I would really like to see a short segment on the story of their return on your show - may I direct you to a couple of other quick resource links to look into for background;

http://valiantuniverse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valiant_Comics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have already outsold many Marvel & DC books and they've only published 6 comics so far... I think that they are only going to grow bigger from here. I hope you guys put something together for this, even just a mention on 'On The Shelf' would be awesome - the next NEW book coming out is Archer & Armstrong #1 on August 8th...

Oh yeah - they also have an exclusive agreement signed with artist Cary Nord [did Conan for Dark Horse] to work on their books - A CANADIAN!!! :)

Thanks for reading, take care,
Josh Deck

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

good job grendeljd! looks like you're really making some waves
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarrowMan
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

I don't have Cable (Rogers and Bell are pure Evil) So I can;t watch INNERspace, but I'm familliar with it and actually used to watch space nearly 24/7. I say kudos to your efforts in trying to get Canadians exposed to Valiant! I think it's awesome (And IMO should earn you a GOLD BOOK)

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

MarrowMan wrote:I don't have Cable...
Jesus, you still using an antenna? Please tell me indoor plumbing's made it that far north by now. And in case the word hasn't reached the Klondike, Lindbergh made it!

:lol: :lol: :P

LABRADORIAN
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by LABRADORIAN »

Canadian

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

LABRADORIAN wrote:Canadian
Just funning with a friend. No disrespect intended.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

who needs cable and all those pesky commercials when you got torrents :?

I do have an antenna for some free OTA digital channels though. (Toronto, Buffalo, Chicago)
Last edited by MarrowMan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

jmatt wrote:
The best comedians in the world are Canadian, we can take as good as we give, :P :clap:

LABRADORIAN

Post by LABRADORIAN »

jmatt wrote:
None taken
I stuck my post in just cause of the Subject topic, I hadnt read all the comments and to be honest I only read maybe 3, my post wasn't a response to yours.....I didn't even read it before I posted.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

MarrowMan wrote:I don't have Cable (Rogers and Bell are pure Evil) So I can;t watch INNERspace, but I'm familliar with it and actually used to watch space nearly 24/7. I say kudos to your efforts in trying to get Canadians exposed to Valiant! I think it's awesome (And IMO should earn you a GOLD BOOK)
I had Rogers when I lived in Canada (cellphone, cable, and internet). I was always pretty happy with their service. It was at least as good as the cable company I have here in New Jersey (Comcast). :? I am a big college football and basketball fan (Go Scarlet Knights!) and Rogers actually had a college sports package that showed tons of games on saturdays for football and practically every night during baskball season. :clap:
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

MarrowMan wrote:
jmatt wrote:
The best comedians in the world are Canadian, we can take as good as we give, :P :clap:
Pam Anderson is Canadian. She can take as... well, not really.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Chiclo wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Pam Anderson is Canadian. She can take as... well, not really.
If you're talking about Hepatitis C then probably.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

MarrowMan wrote:who needs cable and all those pesky commercials when you got torrents :?
Never messed with torrents. I always figured anything 'free' like that would be larded with trojans, etc.

Anyway, since I've got your ear I've been wanting to give you a hearty slap on the back about the Shadowman relaunch. You must be ecstatic!

I just finished a re-read of issues 21 and 22 tonight, where Darque (and Calvin) are bouncing Jack through time and he meets Maxim and Blister. What a great read. :)

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

LABRADORIAN wrote:
jmatt wrote:
None taken
I stuck my post in just cause of the Subject topic, I hadnt read all the comments and to be honest I only read maybe 3, my post wasn't a response to yours.....I didn't even read it before I posted.
Sounds to me like you've volunteered yourself for enlisted service to the cause, soldier. Have you sent YOUR email to innerSPACE yet?? :D

Today I sent in an email to Valiant to let them know what I've been up to & to let 'em know there may be some free advertising to be had by contacting innerSPACE. I had to use the generic 'inquiries' email but I addressed it to Hunter Gorinson (their head marketing dude). If I hear back from someone there I'll post it here for all y'all.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Holy crap, kids... it worked!!!

At long last, innerSPACE featured a Valiant comic [XO#4] on their 'New On The Shelf' segment! :cloud9:

I usually pvr the show, just got caught up this morning. The segment ran last thursday, Aug. 30th.

I did not hear back from anyone at Valiant after the last email I sent out to them, [see above post], but someone got in touch with someone this month to get/give permission to feature their books. Don't know how much of that was directly because of my efforts, but it's great to see it happen, and big thanks to everyone here that also wrote in to support the idea!! NOw, I just have to keep on them to do a bit on the return of Valiant...

Click on the image below, it'll take you to a crappy home video I took of the segment, it runs 1:18m, and XO is the 3rd title mentioned. It's hosted on photobucket, if anyone knows how to correct the link to just show the video right in this post, please feel free to edit it.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I bet your efforts sure didn't hurt. Credit where credit is due sir :clap:

good job!

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

I didn't even realize grendeljd was a Canuck.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

MarrowMan wrote:I didn't even realize grendeljd was a Canuck.
I guess that tarnishes the idea that I was an American trying to promote Valiant in Canada, eh? :lol: