Please be careful with the spoilers!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
Please be careful with the spoilers!!

Post by Heath »

I hate spoilers. I avoid spoilers. If there is a thread here that I think may contain something I might not know yet about a movie or TV show or comic, then I don't read that thread until I've caught up. I haven't read any of the threads about the Avengers movie and wont until I actually see the movie. Likewise, I've been selective about which threads regarding XO Manowar #1 and the FCBD issue I read as I don't want anything spoiled. I won't get those books until my MailOrderComics.com shipment arrives and don't want anything spoiled until then. So I've limited myself to threads about store experiences and how sales are going while trying to avoid those about the contents of the books.

But twice now, I have seen what I consider a spoiler in a thread title. Maybe they're not really considered spoilers for some people, and neither was really anything significant to the story, but they still spoiled MY anticipation of both XO Manowar and the FCBD issue. They revealed something about those books that I would have rather learned by actually reading the books myself. I just find that frustrating.

At this point, I'm very close to just avoiding the whole board until I have read the books for myself. If spoilers are going to be in thread titles, the only way I can avoid them is to avoid the board as a whole. I'd rather not do that, so for now I'm just asking that you guys please be careful with thread titles and spoilers. I understand the excitement. And I'm not asking for spoiler warnings everywhere. But be mindful that it will take some of us a bit of time to get caught up. I really don't want these books spoiled in any way - just give me a chance to avoid the spoilers.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Please be careful with the spoilers!!

Post by greg »

That's a good point, but with this many guys... so excited about the books in their hands... it's going to be impossible to keep it all suppressed once the books are out.

Guys, try to keep your topic titles spoiler-free and put "SPOILERS" in the title if you want to talk about them.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Yeah, if you ewant to avoid learning about Valiant titles, then this is the wrong forum to hang out on the day of the release. :lol:

That said, I'll keep book talk to the spoiler area. Greg, if you want to move my "First impressions" whine/drool/screed over to the Spoiler section, that might be a good idea.

greg

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:Yeah, if you ewant to avoid learning about Valiant titles, then this is the wrong forum to hang out on the day of the release. :lol:

That said, I'll keep book talk to the spoiler area. Greg, if you want to move my "First impressions" whine/drool/screed over to the Spoiler section, that might be a good idea.
I don't think I'll be able to keep up with all the spoiler threads and keep them all herded into the Spoiler section.
I would like to see SPOILER in the titles to help out, but when the book is out, it's going to be tough to keep it all suppressed.

Heath

Post by Heath »

greg wrote:That's a good point, but with this many guys... so excited about the books in their hands... it's going to be impossible to keep it all suppressed once the books are out.
Yeah, I understand that. And, like I said, I'm not asking for no discussion of the book, nor am I asking for spoiler warnings everywhere. Just try not to put what might be spoilers in the thread titles. Usually it's easy to tell from the title if I want to skip that thread so I can avoid spoilers. Or if the conversation starts to take that turn, I can mark that thread as one to avoid until I get caught up.

For instance, I read through the threads about the Avengers movie until the movie was released. At that point, people who have seen it are going to start talk talking about it in ways I don't want to be exposed to yet. I'll come back to those threads after I see it. I wouldn't expect them to put spoiler warnings on every post - the movie is out for everyone to watch so if I haven't seen it and I read a thread where people who have seen it are talking about it, then I'm to blame for any spoilers I read. I would only expect a spoiler warning if someone had seen a sneak peek or advance screening or something before everyone else so those people wouldn't be expecting details about the film to be reviewed.

The same thing applies to the XO Manowar #1. I'm avoiding the threads where discussion of the book itself is taking place. The book is out, people are excited, and I understand that. It's my fault if I start reading those threads. So I'm not. I don't think it's necessary to have "SPOILER WARNING" in the thread title. I'm just hoping for thread titles not to contain actual spoilers!

I get the excitement. I wish I could share in all of it right now. But I have to wait. And when MY time comes to get to read the book, I want it to be as unspoiled as possible. I'm doing what I can to ensure that by avoiding certain threads. I just ask that others help out by refraining from putting what might be spoilers in the actual thread title.

And just having the threads in the spoiler section doesn't help if there is a spoiler in the thread title. I still see the thread title when I use the "View New Posts" option.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

I like spoilers because they save me the trouble of reading / watching whatever it is being spoiled.

:thumb:

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

I agree it's great to be courteous, but for me, spoilers are really only relevant before something is released. Once it's out there, it's fair game to discuss on the internet.

I agree with the poster above who asked what you were doing here! :P You need to take responsibility to avoid spoilers, and if not coming here until you've read the book is what you have to do, then you know how to stay spoiler free! :P

Heath

Post by Heath »

The Beyonder wrote:I agree it's great to be courteous, but for me, spoilers are really only relevant before something is released. Once it's out there, it's fair game to discuss on the internet.
I completely agree. That's why I said I'm not asking for spoiler warnings everywhere. Just some consideration for those of us who have to wait when it comes to thread titles. I'm not demanding anything, or trying to be *SQUEE*. Just asking for some consideration.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

What I don't understand is that we have a whole section for spoilers. I know it's going to be hard for Greg to moderate all of the threads, but it shouldn't be hard for those posting the threads to see that the section they need to be in is right below this section. :twocents:

(Trying to remember if I posted any spoiler threads now... :lol: )

greg

Post by greg »

etos45 wrote:What I don't understand is that we have a whole section for spoilers. I know it's going to be hard for Greg to moderate all of the threads, but it shouldn't be hard for those posting the threads to see that the section they need to be in is right below this section. :twocents:

The topic names are the key problem.
If you click "View new posts" on the right side of the page, you get everything from every section.
It's probably too late if you've seen a topic name from the spoiler section... you've been spoiled.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

greg wrote:
etos45 wrote:What I don't understand is that we have a whole section for spoilers. I know it's going to be hard for Greg to moderate all of the threads, but it shouldn't be hard for those posting the threads to see that the section they need to be in is right below this section. :twocents:

The topic names are the key problem.
If you click "View new posts" on the right side of the page, you get everything from every section.
It's probably too late if you've seen a topic name from the spoiler section... you've been spoiled.
Ahh... see I don't do that, so I didn't think about that problem.

Hey, Heath, don't do that either. :lol:

New subject thread: "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker brother in law!!!!"

Heath

Post by Heath »

etos45 wrote:Ahh... see I don't do that, so I didn't think about that problem.

But not doing that is so... inefficient! :P

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Heath wrote:
etos45 wrote:Ahh... see I don't do that, so I didn't think about that problem.

But not doing that is so... inefficient! :P
I live to be inefficient! :lol:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Heath wrote:
The Beyonder wrote:I agree it's great to be courteous, but for me, spoilers are really only relevant before something is released. Once it's out there, it's fair game to discuss on the internet.
I completely agree. That's why I said I'm not asking for spoiler warnings everywhere. Just some consideration for those of us who have to wait when it comes to thread titles. I'm not demanding anything, or trying to be *SQUEE*. Just asking for some consideration.
I understand completely and have moved my spoiler talk to the appropriate section. But out of curiosity, why are you waiting to read the book? Are you overseas or something?

I have my X-O load coming in from Paradise soon, but I ran out and bought an extra copy anyway just to have it the instant it was available.