I hate it when I over sleep - look what I missed

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

What is this "it's just a test" crap. Is he putting it up for auction to see how much he can get without actually selling it? Isn't that what a reserve is for? What a complete couple of scumbags... that is if he really has a brother.

NEG this freak shows auction!

Boda

graybola
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by graybola »

We should run a "TEST" to see how high we can get his auction and then when he emails us telling us we won tell him we were just "testing" to see how high we could get the auction. I would risk the negative feedback, I just need someone to push the bid up.

Chris
GRAYBOLA

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

graybola wrote:We should run a "TEST" to see how high we can get his auction and then when he emails us telling us we won tell him we were just "testing" to see how high we could get the auction. I would risk the negative feedback, I just need someone to push the bid up.

Chris
I'll be happy to do that. <smirk> Ok...I bid $150...someone come outbid me, or it's gonna look fishy. ;)

However...playing Devil's Advocate and all....yes, yes, I *know* he put a BIN on, and it's his fault....but in the interest of justice, is it really fair to screw this guy out of so much money on eBay....?

Again, I KNOW he put a BIN on it, and a person of integrity would say 'lesson learned, I pay the price this time, I'll do my research next time'....but....if I were the buyer, and I knew I'd taken this guy to the tune of at least $100, all because of BIN....I'd feel a little guilty, and would prolly let him back out if he asked. NOT that it's the buyer's fault at ALL, not in the slightest....but it's not worth the bad feelings it would generate to stick it to him and MAKE him sell.

call me crazy. ;)

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
graybola wrote:We should run a "TEST" to see how high we can get his auction and then when he emails us telling us we won tell him we were just "testing" to see how high we could get the auction. I would risk the negative feedback, I just need someone to push the bid up.

Chris
I'll be happy to do that. <smirk> Ok...I bid $150...someone come outbid me, or it's gonna look fishy. ;)

However...playing Devil's Advocate and all....yes, yes, I *know* he put a BIN on, and it's his fault....but in the interest of justice, is it really fair to screw this guy out of so much money on eBay....?

Again, I KNOW he put a BIN on it, and a person of integrity would say 'lesson learned, I pay the price this time, I'll do my research next time'....but....if I were the buyer, and I knew I'd taken this guy to the tune of at least $100, all because of BIN....I'd feel a little guilty, and would prolly let him back out if he asked. NOT that it's the buyer's fault at ALL, not in the slightest....but it's not worth the bad feelings it would generate to stick it to him and MAKE him sell.

call me crazy. ;)
If you list an item on Ebay you are obligated to sell it. Just like if you win an item you are obligated to buy it. The BIN feature doesn’t appear on its own. You have to input the dollar amount. This requires some thought.

What really *SQUEE* me off is that the seller is outright lying.

If you read the emails I got from the seller and this one from a question I asked the 1st buyer, as I wanted to know if the seller actually had a second copy.

“I've reported the seller to Ebay as a non-selling seller.”

It doesn’t seem to me that the seller is honest.

graybola

Post by graybola »

x-omatic wrote: If you list an item on Ebay you are obligated to sell it. Just like if you win an item you are obligated to buy it. The BIN feature doesn’t appear on its own. You have to input the dollar amount. This requires some thought.
I totally agree. If I were to go to an estate sale and found a copy of the issue for $5 I would buy it and be happy that I got a great deal. It is the same thing as picking up a a rare issue in the quarter bin. I would never even think to tell the dealer that he could sell it on ebay and make money. This guy should have just sold it to the buyer and learned his lesson.

Chris
GRAYBOLA

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

x-omatic wrote: If you list an item on Ebay you are obligated to sell it. Just like if you win an item you are obligated to buy it. The BIN feature doesn’t appear on its own. You have to input the dollar amount. This requires some thought.

What really *SQUEE* me off is that the seller is outright lying.

If you read the emails I got from the seller and this one from a question I asked the 1st buyer, as I wanted to know if the seller actually had a second copy.

“I've reported the seller to Ebay as a non-selling seller.”

It doesn’t seem to me that the seller is honest.
You are absolutely, 100% correct. If you list an item with a BIN, and it sells, you are absolutely obligated to sell it at that price, it's your own fault, etc.

But, I'm not talking about obligation, in this case. I'm talking about fair play. And, just as it's not fair to OVERstate an item's worth, so is it not fair (to this seller) to grossly UNDERstate an item's worth.

In this fish eat fish world, you pays your money, you takes your chances but...I dunno I'd just feel like a jerk forcing someone to honor something they obviously didn't know about, costing them a chunk of change, if they asked me about it.

But, you are absolutely right, he is obligated to sell at that price. ;)

And hey...if he's a jerk about it...all bets are off. :)

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

graybola wrote:
I totally agree. If I were to go to an estate sale and found a copy of the issue for $5 I would buy it and be happy that I got a great deal. It is the same thing as picking up a a rare issue in the quarter bin. I would never even think to tell the dealer that he could sell it on ebay and make money. This guy should have just sold it to the buyer and learned his lesson.

Chris
Except that estate sales and eBay are two entirely different beasts. At real life locations, outside of someone getting into a price war on the spot, the prices are what they are, outside of haggling down.

eBay, however, is a totally different beast. Had there not been a BIN, the price would have ended at more than $10.

Totally different from picking up something for cheap in a store or other real life venue.

Think about it....if the person selling the book in real life asked you for your *honest* opinion about how much that item was worth....would you lie to 'get a good deal'? Would you say 'oh, it's only worth $5' knowing full well it's worth $150 in the open market? Well, putting it up on eBay is exactly like asking how much it's worth....because that's what it ends up at, market value, outside of the artificial price setting (high AND low) of the BIN.

Ya know?

graybola

Post by graybola »

Very True. Good point Zephyr.

Chris
GRAYBOLA

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

If you want to see what something is worth on ebay, put it up with an insanely high reserve bid. Than you can see how high it goes. And you can relist with cheaper fees after the auction is over.

Chris

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

cjv wrote:If you want to see what something is worth on ebay, put it up with an insanely high reserve bid. Than you can see how high it goes. And you can relist with cheaper fees after the auction is over.

Chris
That sometimes works, but a lot of people won't bid on reserve auctions...
especially after they get close to the normal selling price and the
reserve still isn't met.

Normal "auction houses" have always known about the "feeding frenzy" that
can occur when they say the magic words... "The reserve has been lifted."

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

He just canceled everyones bids on the "test" as he put it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

edlockman
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Punk Dealer!

Post by edlockman »

What a chump! If you list it, you should sell it. Cancelling peoples bids and withdrawing auctions are for bushleaguers.