Top 10 Relaunch things you DON'T want...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Draco wrote:1. Delays. Books to come out on time all the time please.

2. Poor creative teams for the sake of getting books out.

3. Too many books too soon for the sake of a piece of the pie.

4. Variants that are impossible price wise for us hardcore fans to purchase, or that are made in such small quantities that only people who earn $50k a year can think about buying.

5. Secrecy. Now we seem to be on a roll can we please keep the info coming.

6. Creators who we all agree made books/characters look bad to stay the hell away.

7. The wrong mix of what came before i.e *VALIANT (1991-1996)*, 2 & 3 combined.

8. Lack on non orderable premiums i.e we want old school premiums
given away to those who promote Valiant again for those who will never be able to afford $75 for 1:100 retailer variants.

9. Lack of presence at cons.

10. i thought finding 10 things was gonna be hard and it was.

:thumb:
that pretty much sums it up :thumb:

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

400yrs wrote:The coloring that VEI used in the hardcovers. I don't know exactly what they did for the coloring, but I really didn't like it. Just use computer coloring like all books nowadays.
I haven't seen the hardcovers so I can't comment on that but I will say that computer coloring is one of the things I really dislike about modern comics. It hurts my eyes because it's so obviously artificial. So I'd have to say it's something I don't want to see in the relaunch.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Burrito Boy wrote:
400yrs wrote:The coloring that VEI used in the hardcovers. I don't know exactly what they did for the coloring, but I really didn't like it. Just use computer coloring like all books nowadays.
I haven't seen the hardcovers so I can't comment on that but I will say that computer coloring is one of the things I really dislike about modern comics. It hurts my eyes because it's so obviously artificial. So I'd have to say it's something I don't want to see in the relaunch.
I know that Harbinger and XO weren't great, but do you feel any differently about the coloring in the Archer and Armstrong HC? I think it's considerably better.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

wrunow wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:
I know that Harbinger and XO weren't great, but do you feel any differently about the coloring in the Archer and Armstrong HC? I think it's considerably better.
I agree the coloring in A and A did seem much better than the other two by far.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

maraxusofkeld wrote:
wrunow wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:
I agree the coloring in A and A did seem much better than the other two by far.
I thought they did a pretty good job with all of the hardcovers. There were a few pages that were a little off on Harby, but they did get better as they went into the second HC and on into the last.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

wrunow wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:
I think that the coloring of the A&A issues would have passed for today's standards of my liking. I have come to appreciate some of the blur and metal effects created by the various Photoshop and other programs out there that have really enhanced today's comics.

As much as I really like the painted style of Valiant when it started off, I hope that a painted 'style' is not recaptured. I think you could use the Dr. Martin's paints if you tell part of a story set IN that early 90s time frame or a 'God forbid' time travel issue but darker colors suite me best, even over the pastels used back in the day.

I hope that the Valiant artist's do NOT fail to draw the facial features on characters. I hope that they do NOT rely on the colorist or computer colorist to add the various depth and shades to the face. I like black line relief in facial features.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

No capes. Me and the family just watched the Incredibles again for the 100th time. :D

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

BruceReville wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:Jim Leifield
:?
:hm:

Jim Lee + Rob Leifeld = ???

:? :?

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Someone mentioned secrecy, and I concur. It seems like they learned a lesson, as there is news all over this time, even though the books are not scheduled for release in the very near future. It's good to get some excitement going.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Jay Tomio wrote:
ian_house wrote:
Jay Tomio wrote:
ian_house wrote:Films
Video Games
Other Merchandise

Make some comics not merchandise.
Wishing for failure.
Thats why this is a thread on the internet and not the VEI board meeting...

It's a thread about what we'd like to see, not what will make VEI successful.
I think it's a discussion with merit. I don't see what producing films or other merchandise has anything to do with or not to do with making good comics. If they are making great comics, why would you like them to not make films? I grant that I'm guessing your intent is quality comics and that you may for some reason think there is a relationship between the two. I could be wrong on that.

I guess I can understand if someone just doesn't like all films in general and, I don't know, doesn't like stuff, but most people who even actively don't enjoy films don't wish they aren't made.

I'm just trying to understand the relationship and because it's on , as you say, the internet, I'm merely trying to figure out what other people sharing on it mean.
Hey dude, sorry for slow reply on this.

Yeah the intent is to get great comics, and not comics written as film scripts like a hell of a lot of Mark Millars stuff. I also think with a small company they should remain focused on one thing, its taken them 4 years to get to this point and if they get too big too quickly they would probably fall apart.

Gotta love this here internetz

And I would love to see Valiant other products, but not in the 1st year or so. They need to establish a universe, the rules and the characters within first.

Hell in a few years I hope Archer & Armstrong movie will be breaking box office records!

72cutlass
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by 72cutlass »

Please,no variants at all. Let the books sell without variant hype. And if they sell out,please no 2nd printing 2 weeks later. 2-3 months later,ok.Then make THAT printing the variant. I enjoy reading comics,but I also enjoy the collectible aspect of this hobby.

yardstick

Post by yardstick »

MoonChild wrote:Alligators or anything corny of the like.

Don't waste time on releasing a book that wont sell such as Armorines and Psylords. Use them in the universe of course, maybe even give em a mini and of course crossover events but no ongoing lines for anything not verry neccessary. I think Dr. Mirage is as far as I'd go, even then maybe only mini's.

Is that akin to jumping the alligator?