Valiant Validated Signature Series ... Shocking!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Shocking results in tonight's auctions of Valiant Validated Signature Series books
by seller "phinders-keepers"...
12 books... $887.97... before shipping.

Wow... individual results...
(before shipping costs)
Magnus 25 VVSS $20.50
Turok 1 VVSS $30.00 :shock:
Rai & The Future Force 9 VVSS $31.00 :shock:
Bloodshot 0 VVSS $42.00
Armorines 1 VVSS $53.55
Shadowman 0 VVSS $54.00
Secret Weapons 11 VVSS $85.42 :shock:
Geomancer 1 VVSS $86.00
PSI-Lords 1 VVSS $93.00
Rai & The Future Force 21 VVSS $112.50
Timewalker 1 VVSS $112.50
Eternal Warrior 27 VVSS $167.50 :shock:

... definitely some surprising numbers in there...

riptide_soccer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by riptide_soccer »

Yes...and I was one of the damn fools that bid high...in the heat of the moment, I guess...I should have my butt kicked. And I only won one of them, the Rai 21, the one I least wanted. Next time, I'll take a Valium before I start bidding. :cry:
I am the Fist and the Steel.....

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=3983

I know that it does not account for everything, but honestly this guy hit the jackpot...what a difference a few days makes

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

Yea, it is official - I'll never own these.

:?

Snakemann
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
I bid too !

Post by Snakemann »

I bid on everyone of these and lost. :roll:
I bid way over guide on all of these and lost. :x
That's OK there are always more coming! 8)

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

I bid on everyone of these and lost.
I bid way over guide on all of these and lost.
That's OK there are always more coming!
There sure are, after seeing those prices, I think I'm ready to part with some of my extra VVSS! :shock:

Technique
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!

Post by Technique »

Is this the return of the speculator?

I suppose that would make sense considering some of the press that Valiant has received lately. I do not recognize many of the IDs that bid on the books.

I was planning to bid high (even very high) on several of the books just so that I could finish off the last few VVSS books that I need (want) to get to 200%.

It will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of a trend or if it is a blip.

With the renewed press that Valiant is getting it would make sense for us to see both more issues come up for auction and for there to be more speculator interest in those books. I just hope that the supply side wins out so that I can finish off my sets. If not then it will definitely be time to sell.

Any thoughts?

-Rob

riptide_soccer

Post by riptide_soccer »

There sure are, after seeing those prices, I think I'm ready to part with some of my extra VVSS!

Brother J....any time you want to talk about parting with those VVSS...just let me know!!!!

Joseph

riptide_soccer

Post by riptide_soccer »

That's OK there are always more coming!
Snake...I'm hoping you're right. The VVSS are most of what I need (with a gold exception here or there) to complete my Valiant set. Bring 'em on....

Joseph

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

God bless America, I'm glad I don't need these for my complete set. Wow.

greg
Re: Valiant Validated Signature Series ... Shocking!

Post by greg »

Technique wrote:With the renewed press that Valiant is getting it would make sense for us to see both more issues come up for auction and for there to be more speculator interest in those books. I just hope that the supply side wins out...
This is a great statement...

Valiant books (pre-Unity, gold, VVSS, etc.) are either common or they're not.
People either want them, or they don't.

So far, it looks like certain VVSS books are very UN-common.
Would more attention bring more copies out of hiding?

Whatever the answer... I'm interested to find out.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

As far as the return of the speculator, aren't most of us here speuclators? If you have more than two copies of a particular comic, in a way you may be a speculator. You might have a copy to read, and copy to put away, but you would sell the copy that was put away (maybe depending on your personality) if the price was right. If you have multiple copies of key issues,that you chose to buy, than you are definitley a speculator, do you think greg has 28 boxes of valiant comics because he just likes them? I consider myself a speculator in the valiant market because i activley seek out key issues, buy multiple copies, and because i firmly believe they will appreciate in value in the future. There is a whopping difference in the speculator market of the '90's, and the valiant speculator market. In the 90's market people with no comic experience bought tons of comics purly based on the popularity(price wise) of earlier issues, of apperances of a character, enhanced covers,#1 issues regardless of the character or company. the valiant speculator market is people(mostly) who understand comic trends, have ahistory of collecting comics, and know the game. They are educated on key factors like print runs. When i used to frequent a coimc shop in Eugene, almost every time i bought Valiants he would tell me, stories were good but nobody cares about them anymore...oh really than why am I buying them? Valiant comics have a back issues market that no other indepedent comic company has that came out on the early 90's, when was the last time someone paid a hundred bucks for any Image comic,or malibu, or the fifty other companies that were around then. It doesnt happen. when people started dumping valiants in quarter(or less)bin, how many copies got flat out destroyed. I've seen so many valiant rares in quuarter bins completely ruined because the box was rifled through four hundred times. Because of this , when Valiants become sought after heavily again, i believe supply will not meet demand on some comics. Do you know how many copies if Harbinger #4 i've seen destroyed in quarter bins? alot. I am a speculator, beacuse i am not an idiot. If you can plainly see that an investment will grow, you gotta make the investment.

Snakemann

Post by Snakemann »

Snake...I'm hoping you're right. The VVSS are most of what I need (with a gold exception here or there) to complete my Valiant set. Bring 'em on....
This is exactly why I was there bidding on all of them when they were at the end of the auction. I had committed myself to going over guide to get them. Not that far out! I just kept bidding higher and higher and could not win. I don't think the demand will stay this strong. This was a unique situation. There was a handful of us that were attracted to a complete run in near perfect looking condition. My collection is really lacking in the VVSS books. I realized real quick that the bidding was getting stupid. I will get them one by one and not get crazy. I have been collecting a long time and know from experience that they will all be available again and again. If I over spend needlessly then I will end up feeling stupid for not buying smarter. My buying rule has always been to buy what is not hot. Wait for those books to cool down and get them latter. So many more great books that I want to buy.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Last edited by Vault-Keeper on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:47:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

greg

Post by greg »

I guess that means Rotphungte is in the UK.
I don't believe we've ever heard from him on this messageboard.

Maybe he's taking advantage of the Pounds to Dollar ratio right now...
But I agree... they must be impossible to find in the UK. Ebay or nothing.
Last edited by greg on Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skiw
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Part of the "Why?" Factor

Post by skiw »

Steve G. wrote:Hi-
This is Steve, the guy who sold the VVSS books on ebay. I just wanted to add to all this "speculation" that 8 of the VVSS issues went to one buyer in the UK. We might think some Valiants are Rare to find here in the States, they must be damn near impossible to find in the UK & elsewhere! Something to think about...
Too bad you did not have good old aug002 bidding on them from Hawaii as well - that would have really driven the prices up as he does not like to lose. :wink:

WRT the rarity of Valiants, I am able to find tons of pre-unity and most of the premiums up here in Alberta, Canada, except for CER, the Unity Trades and VVSS issues. Unity Red is rather common, and there are always blue variant TPBs at the local cons for cheap. IMHO most of the VVSS and CERs never made it out of the US and as a result are extremely tough to come by for the rest of us. :cry:

Cheers,
Skiw

skiw

Post by skiw »

riptide_soccer wrote:Brother J....any time you want to talk about parting with those VVSS...just let me know!!!!

Joseph
Hey Joseph,

PM me if you are interested in VVSS issues and I will send you a list of what I have left. We are expecting our first child next month so I am in the process of paring down my Valiant collection to just singles of the regular issues for extra storage space (hopefully I can clear out a long box or two :wink:). They were going to be put up on eBay this week but if we can work out a deal offline that would be great.

Cheers,
Skiw

lobo

Post by lobo »

Did all VVSS comics come complete with the clear valiant protective comic folder?
If the clear folder is missing or damaged is the comic considered incomplete? I would not think so...
I have two VVSS without the clear folder but the certficates are definitely there.

Of all the Variant Valiants, I could less for the VVSS issues. Too expensive to go for a complete set but I'll pick them up if they are cheap.

greg

Post by greg »

The original Valiant plastic holders have "deteriorated" over time...
I'd actually prefer that the book be rescued from any of those holders
that are falling apart. So, no, I don't think they're required for the issues.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

greg, there seems to be an almost subliminal msg in there...i prefer them this way...like you expect that eventually you are going to be the owner of the book!!
"take good care of my vvss issues boys-while i let you keep them for a while!" :wink:

jes playin. mebbe

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I agree with Greg here. I remove these from the Valiant "pro" sleeves immediately. If I sell one, I send the sleeve with the book separately.

Those holders are EVIL. The flaps will leave impressions in your books if they are tightly packed.

greg wrote:The original Valiant plastic holders have "deteriorated" over time...
I'd actually prefer that the book be rescued from any of those holders
that are falling apart. So, no, I don't think they're required for the issues.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Ugh. I wish I could go back in time and beat up whatever schmuck invented thos 'pro holders' with those damn FLAPS. I can't tell you how many GREAT comics are indented on the back because of those.

Stupid schmucks.

R Daneel
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

valiantdude wrote:As far as the return of the speculator, aren't most of us here speuclators?
Maybe, but I don't think we would be considered as just now returning, and if I understood right that was the point of the post. A lot of us have always been 'here', and some might be returning, but not for the same speculative reasons that others are.

"Wow look at all the girls who flocked to Key West for Spring Break this year."
"Yea but there are girls in Key West all the time, they are girls too."

jusdb

Post by jusdb »

i think there is a modest amount of speculator in everyone of us who picks up a book at an lcs b/c it will make good trade fodder, or b/c we know we can flip it online or on ebay later.

who here can honestly say that they haven't done either of the above?

the diff i would think is that im not out there buying up 10-20 copies of ult ff thinking ill be able to sell them all in a few months for $15+...i think that is what most people commonly refer to as a "speculator"

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

jusdb wrote:i think there is a modest amount of speculator in everyone of us who picks up a book at an lcs b/c it will make good trade fodder, or b/c we know we can flip it online or on ebay later.

who here can honestly say that they haven't done either of the above?

the diff i would think is that im not out there buying up 10-20 copies of ult ff thinking ill be able to sell them all in a few months for $15+...i think that is what most people commonly refer to as a "speculator"
I think there is also a difference in speculating on New releases or on books that are 10+ years old.

My "speculation" on pre Unity Valiant is not going to affect the Comics Market. Buying New books would as a dealer my up his orders based on me picking up 10 or more of an issue.