Fan Fic: The VALIANT Fan Fic Association

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Fan Fic: The VALIANT Fan Fic Association

Post by ManofTheAtom »

VALIANT Fan Fic Association

I was asked to let you all know that the problem with this site (the main page wasn't showing) has been fixed.

Feel free to go check the site to read some very cool VALIANT-related fan fic stories :)
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

CLA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: Fan Fic: The VALIANT Fan Fic Association

Post by CLA »

ManofTheAtom wrote:VALIANT Fan Fic Association

I was asked to let you all know that the problem with this site (the main page wasn't showing) has been fixed.

Feel free to go check the site to read some very cool VALIANT-related fan fic stories :)
Really, an excellent site. Impressive design. Great job, MOTA. One question: when you began reading Valiant, did you get the translated editions? Maybe they were published by Vid, the folks who publish the DC & Marvel?
"...[Wizard Magazine] regularly cheapens and poisons our field."
FRANK MILLER

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

CLA wrote:Really, an excellent site. Impressive design. Great job, MOTA. One question: when you began reading Valiant, did you get the translated editions? Maybe they were published by Vid, the folks who publish the DC & Marvel?
Well, it's not my site :)

It belongs to Barry Reese, he just asked me to hype that he fixed the main page, which had been lost for awhile and he hadn't noticed till now.

Oddly enough, VALIANT has never been translated into spanish. If it has, I've never seen it :)

It's odd because in the last five years or so, Vid has taken to reprinting everything it can get its hands on, from Marvel to DC, Wildstorm and Image (Spawn and Top Cow) and even Crossgen and Dark Horse, but never VALIANT.

If I had the resources I might consider getting the license to reprint the material in spanish someday, lol :)

I got into VALIANT through Deathmate Yellow and Blue.

At the time the only comes I bought were the four Superman titles and the four Spider-Man titles. The owner of the store asked me why I didn't try anything else... I told him that I didn't know there was anything else, so he showed me those two books.

I read them, love them, got the rest of the crossover and, out of all the concepts and characters in the crossover I liked three; VALIANT's Solar and Wildstorm's Union and Gen 13.

So I decided to start buying Solar and Union. At the time the newest issues were Solar 25 and 26 and the Union and Gen 13mini series, which were just starting.

Since Union was just a mini at the time, I got it, was done with it.

I saw Pitt on the cover of Gen 13 #2 (or #3) and ran away, never to look back again.

Which left me with Solar #25 and 26, wich 27 right around the corner (I loved 27, which was the issue where Phil has a conversation with the Geomancer drop out).

So from issue 25 on I only got Solar, till Chaos Effect came around and I decided to get all of it.

A month or so after Chaos I decided to get the entire line permanently.

Not long after that VALIANT collected Alpha & Omega, Unity, Steel Nation and Invasion, which caught me up on the characters and the structure of the universe.

Then I got the previously released tps (Shadowman, Harbinger and VALIANT Era collection), till finally I got the gem of the VALIANT crown, the Rai tp, which has one of the best comic book stories I've ever read, Rai #0.

But, of course, all good things come to and end and not long after that came Birthquake (a stunt to get readers who didn't give a damn about VALIANT by putting "names" on the credit box or Marvelizing the characters), and then VH 2 (and even bigger stunt that was no different from Birthquake, with the exception that unlike Bquake it completely killed VALIANT).

:)
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Zero_UK
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Zero_UK »

CLA wrote:
An excellent site, MOTA. Perhaps you should ask Greg to give it a link on the main page.
I am still reading, but I loved what you did with the 'Silver Age' series. Please remind me which Magnus issue Dr. Tempus first appeared in.
If only you could get the rights and a decent artist!
:wink:
Zero

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

People really have to stop giving me credit for that site :)

I only posted the link here as a favor to Barry Reese, who wrote the Magnus and X-O Manowar series for it :)

I wrote a Timewalker series for that site and its predecesor, the V1F.

You can check it at the link below.

Ignore the awful grammar, awful spelling, awful plotting, awful dialogue, awful foreshadowing, and awful characterization, though...

Hell, my work there is down right awful ;) lol

The Timewalker Fan Fic Site

aric_dacia
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by aric_dacia »

Zero wrote:
CLA wrote:
An excellent site, MOTA. Perhaps you should ask Greg to give it a link on the main page.
I am still reading, but I loved what you did with the 'Silver Age' series. Please remind me which Magnus issue Dr. Tempus first appeared in.
If only you could get the rights and a decent artist!
:wink:
Zero
Dr. Tempus was an original character, created by me. I'm glad you enjoyed the 'Silver Age' storyline -- I had a blast writing those Magnus stories and really regret that I never managed to finish "Steel Nation II". Maybe someday....

Barry Reese

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:16:41 am

It belongs to Barry Reese, he just asked me to hype that he fixed the main page, which had been lost for awhile and he hadn't noticed till now.

Oddly enough, VALIANT has never been translated into spanish. If it has, I've never seen it :)

It's odd because in the last five years or so, Vid has taken to reprinting everything it can get its hands on, from Marvel to DC, Wildstorm and Image (Spawn and Top Cow) and even Crossgen and Dark Horse, but never VALIANT.

If I had the resources I might consider getting the license to reprint the material in spanish someday, lol :)

At the time the only comes I bought were the four Superman titles and the four Spider-Man titles. The owner of the store asked me why I didn't try anything else... I told him that I didn't know there was anything else, so he showed me those two books.

I read them, love them, got the rest of the crossover and, out of all the concepts and characters in the crossover I liked three; VALIANT's Solar and Wildstorm's Union and Gen 13.

So I decided to start buying Solar and Union. At the time the newest issues were Solar 25 and 26 and the Union and Gen 13mini series, which were just starting.

I saw Pitt on the cover of Gen 13 #2 (or #3) and ran away, never to look back again.

Which left me with Solar #25 and 26, wich 27 right around the corner (I loved 27, which was the issue where Phil has a conversation with the Geomancer drop out).

So from issue 25 on I only got Solar, till Chaos Effect came around and I decided to get all of it.

Not long after that VALIANT collected Alpha & Omega, Unity, Steel Nation and Invasion, which caught me up on the characters and the structure of the universe.

Then I got the previously released tps (Shadowman, Harbinger and VALIANT Era collection), till finally I got the gem of the VALIANT crown, the Rai tp, which has one of the best comic book stories I've ever read, Rai #0.

But, of course, all good things come to and end and not long after that came Birthquake (a stunt to get readers who didn't give a damn about VALIANT by putting "names" on the credit box or Marvelizing the characters), and then VH 2 (and even bigger stunt that was no different from Birthquake, with the exception that unlike Bquake it completely killed VALIANT).

Cool story man. 20 years and a few weeks later :D

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29:43 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:16:41 am

Cool story man. 20 years and a few weeks later :D
Lol. Nice find.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:30:41 am Lol. Nice find.
+1 (even though you had missed the spanish translations :P ).

Also reminds that we need a new fanfic association or similar.

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

magnusr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:41:41 am

/Magnus
Someone should pick up that torch, sure, heh.

Whatever happened to the stuff with Kindle Worlds?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:19:30 am
magnusr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:41:41 am

/Magnus
Someone should pick up that torch, sure, heh.

Whatever happened to the stuff with Kindle Worlds?
I don't think there's enough interest in VH1 to support a fan fiction association.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:50:22 pm I don't think there's enough interest in VH1 to support a fan fiction association.
But maybe a way to gather the posts here about fanfic. Like yours recently.

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

"Through The Looking Glass Part I"

Ignore the bad grammar.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:40:50 pm
Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:50:22 pm I don't think there's enough interest in VH1 to support a fan fiction association.
But maybe a way to gather the posts here about fanfic. Like yours recently.

/Magnus
Definitely. Mota just posted a link to his Timewalker stories, glad those are still working. Is the Barry Reese stuff still up somewhere? It would be cool if someone collected all of those into an epub though, I have trouble reading long form on a computer screen :lol:

We also have some of the fragments from the 2004 Solar Fanzine http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54111

I assume Playing God is still accessible somewhere?

Unity 2000 #4-6 should be absorbed into the fan fiction canon IMO :D

What am I missing? Did Ant'ny (BOH) do some Bloodshot fan fics?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:02:43 pm What am I missing?
Valiant Zombies, 1999 and beyond, Solar 2004.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 81#p608581
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54111

What more?

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I MAY have found the CD where I stored the images from the Solar 2004 project. I'm not sure, I haven't checked them yet. I'll try to asap.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13:30 am I MAY have found the CD where I stored the images from the Solar 2004 project. I'm not sure, I haven't checked them yet. I'll try to asap.
:hope:

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:26:24 am Valiant Zombies, 1999 and beyond, Solar 2004.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 81#p608581
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54111

What more?

/Magnus
How did I forget 1999 and Beyond? The original :D
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13:30 am I MAY have found the CD where I stored the images from the Solar 2004 project. I'm not sure, I haven't checked them yet. I'll try to asap.
hope so!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

No luck. I found a lot of VALIANT Fan Fic stuff, but not Solar 2004.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:40:53 am No luck. I found a lot of VALIANT Fan Fic stuff, but not Solar 2004.
Dang. Anything new that hasn't been posted?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:02:08 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:40:53 am No luck. I found a lot of VALIANT Fan Fic stuff, but not Solar 2004.
I wrote a fan fic that re-imagined Solar as an angelic being. I think I found it in one of the CDs. I found some pitches for other fan fics from other writers, like BloodOfHeroes and Mike Hintze.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:13:29 pm
I wrote a fan fic that re-imagined Solar as an angelic being. I think I found it in one of the CDs. I found some pitches for other fan fics from other writers, like BloodOfHeroes and Mike Hintze.
Awesome, would be cool to collect all that stuff and put it out in some way if all the writers approved.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30:12 pm
Awesome, would be cool to collect all that stuff and put it out in some way if all the writers approved.
Mike and I are still friends on Facebook, but I have no idea how to contact Anthony.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:46:34 pm
Mike and I are still friends on Facebook, but I have no idea how to contact Anthony.
I think this is him - http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/member ... ofile&u=67 . Not sure if he'll ever check his PMs, but that's all I got.

It would be great to put together a zine with all this stuff. Even better if some of the draw-ers on here (Grendel, Hobojoe?) would be able to add a few illustrations for the stories. And the writers could wrap up their stories if they ended on a cliffhanger or unfinished.

Probably just wishful thinking though.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15:50 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:46:34 pm
I think this is him - http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/member ... ofile&u=67 . Not sure if he'll ever check his PMs, but that's all I got.

It would be great to put together a zine with all this stuff. Even better if some of the draw-ers on here (Grendel, Hobojoe?) would be able to add a few illustrations for the stories. And the writers could wrap up their stories if they ended on a cliffhanger or unfinished.

Probably just wishful thinking though.
There is another BloodofHeroes here who is not Anthony. I don't recall Anthony's handle here, but I don't think he's posted here in a looong time.

It likely would be wishful thinking, unfortunately.