Only The Valiant Podcast

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Only The Valiant Podcast

Post by Chiclo »

Brother J wrote:Episode 13, about forty minutes into the hour long episode:

A couple late comments/questions:

1. Has the number of gay references gone down over the years? Boy, it's starting to sound like there's at least one in most of the early episodes. Not that there's anything wrong with that... :oops:

2. Does Chiclo still have a hard-on for Dark Horse? To hear him in this episode, one would think Dark Horse had *SQUEE* him off over something at some point.

3. Defiant1/Quato gets a mention on the podcast before myself? Yeah, I know I'm not really that interesting, but still...

Anyway, still enjoying going through these again. :thumb:
1. It has become more of a family-friendly show over the years.

2. Was this around the time Shooter was launching the Dark Key line? I was really down on VEI at the time and really pro-Dark Horse. I do like several characters they publish, like Nexus and Grendel, and I read Dark Horse Presents but I have more recently described their line as "overly artistic". I do have a full reading set of the old CGW but have not followed Ghost and X in their newest incarnation.

3. We might not have mentioned you on-air early, but you were on the short list of people we (mostly me) were considering for a third co-host when we ultimately went with Z.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Chiclo wrote:

1. Has the number of gay references gone down over the years? Boy, it's starting to sound like there's at least one in most of the early episodes. Not that there's anything wrong with that... :oops:

2. Does Chiclo still have a hard-on for Dark Horse? To hear him in this episode, one would think Dark Horse had *SQUEE* him off over something at some point.

3. Defiant1/Quato gets a mention on the podcast before myself? Yeah, I know I'm not really that interesting, but still...

2. Was this around the time Shooter was launching the Dark Key line? I was really down on VEI at the time and really pro-Dark Horse. I do like several characters they publish, like Nexus and Grendel, and I read Dark Horse Presents but I have more recently described their line as "overly artistic". I do have a full reading set of the old CGW but have not followed Ghost and X in their newest incarnation.

3. We might not have mentioned you on-air early, but you were on the short list of people we (mostly me) were considering for a third co-host when we ultimately went with Z.
Episode #13 seems to be in the window of time where we heard that Dark Horse had control of the Gold Key characters and were planning on publishing new books, but apparently before it was announced Shooter was going to head up the line, because I'm almost positive there was no mention of Shooter in this episode as being connected with Dark Horse. I still have to finish the episode today, so I will double check that.

Here's a slight retelling of what your opinion of Dark Horse was around the time. First statement was "Is there anything at Dark Horse one could call really successful other than Buffy?" to which Zeph responded about Serenity, so you adjusted the first statement to being "Did they have any popular books other than the Whedon books?" Hellboy was then brought up, to which you agreed with. The Aliens franchise and Star Wars franchise was brought up, you questioned if the Aliens books were still being published, and you mentioned that you disliked Star Wars: Legacy. Zeph mentioned Dark Horse was the only company that started in the 80's and was still in existence. Zeph also mentioned a few other titles like Monkeyman and O'Brien and Next Men, to which you responded it had not been published in quite a while. Then the Goon was brought up, which you were not sure was actively being published and them questioned the print run for that book. Sin City was brought up, as well. You mention that you like the Grendel franchise, then proceeded to say Dark Horse has nothing with a large print run and then a comparison with Image at the time was started. You then went as far as to say you would have preferred the Gold Key heroes to be published by IDW or even Dynamite rather than Dark Horse, because Dark Horse had not done much in the way of reviving old comic book properties and those other companies had. It just sounded like you were not too impressed with Dark Horse at the time.

As far as me being on the show, it would have been fun, but I'm not sure how well my sense of humor would have translated. I also probably did not have the needed technology at the time, as I didn't have any type of microphone, so unless it was something that worked through the phone lines, I probably couldn't have participated.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Brother J wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Episode #13 seems to be in the window of time where we heard that Dark Horse had control of the Gold Key characters and were planning on publishing new books, but apparently before it was announced Shooter was going to head up the line, because I'm almost positive there was no mention of Shooter in this episode as being connected with Dark Horse. I still have to finish the episode today, so I will double check that.

Here's a slight retelling of what your opinion of Dark Horse was around the time. First statement was "Is there anything at Dark Horse one could call really successful other than Buffy?" to which Zeph responded about Serenity, so you adjusted the first statement to being "Did they have any popular books other than the Whedon books?" Hellboy was then brought up, to which you agreed with. The Aliens franchise and Star Wars franchise was brought up, you questioned if the Aliens books were still being published, and you mentioned that you disliked Star Wars: Legacy. Zeph mentioned Dark Horse was the only company that started in the 80's and was still in existence. Zeph also mentioned a few other titles like Monkeyman and O'Brien and Next Men, to which you responded it had not been published in quite a while. Then the Goon was brought up, which you were not sure was actively being published and them questioned the print run for that book. Sin City was brought up, as well. You mention that you like the Grendel franchise, then proceeded to say Dark Horse has nothing with a large print run and then a comparison with Image at the time was started. You then went as far as to say you would have preferred the Gold Key heroes to be published by IDW or even Dynamite rather than Dark Horse, because Dark Horse had not done much in the way of reviving old comic book properties and those other companies had. It just sounded like you were not too impressed with Dark Horse at the time.

As far as me being on the show, it would have been fun, but I'm not sure how well my sense of humor would have translated. I also probably did not have the needed technology at the time, as I didn't have any type of microphone, so unless it was something that worked through the phone lines, I probably couldn't have participated.
This is sounding familiar too. Did I not counter Z's point about DH being the only company started in the 80s still publishing with Antarctic Press?

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I was mentioned early on... but apparently never considered for a co-host.

:( :lol: :P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

slym2none wrote:I was mentioned early on... but apparently never considered for a co-host.

-slym
They were unsure how emoji would translate to an auditory medium. :poke:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Chiclo wrote: This is sounding familiar too. Did I not counter Z's point about DH being the only company started in the 80s still publishing with Antarctic Press?
No mention of Antarctic, probably a good thing. I guess if one likes manga, or anthropomorphics, they're a good company, but nothing much else of interest.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

finished with #15 and read the corresponding posts, glad to hear Jedi make his debut. I will not address the posts, but it does make for interesting reading six years down the line or so. Started the Unity podcast in #16, I'm thinking it will be a good one. If nothing else, listening to this has made me want to go back and re-read the books. Thinking of pulling out the Unity trades and Rai #0.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

lorddunlow wrote:
slym2none wrote:I was mentioned early on... but apparently never considered for a co-host.

They were unsure how emoji would translate to an auditory medium. :poke:
t(-.-t)

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I wonder - has Chiclo ever talked about his plan for globalization of the Dong on the podcast?

We all here know how much he loves to spread the Dong around.

:D

-slym

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

slym2none wrote:I wonder - has Chiclo ever talked about his plan for globalization of the Dong on the podcast?

-slym
I will let you know if it comes up in my listening, though at this point I have little idea of what the Dong is about or why Chiclo would want to spread it. :P :oops:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Brother J wrote:
slym2none wrote:I wonder - has Chiclo ever talked about his plan for globalization of the Dong on the podcast?

-slym
I will let you know if it comes up in my listening, though at this point I have little idea of what the Dong is about or why Chiclo would want to spread it. :P :oops:
The Dong is the currency of Viet Nam. The Vietnamese have been working to strengthen their currency for the last year or two, both against regional competitors and globally. I think a strong Dong might be a good investment.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Have you been playing around with the Dong Chiclo?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:Have you been playing around with the Dong Chiclo?
No - I shook it only twice. Any more and then you are playing with it.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Chiclo wrote:
So the impression I'm getting is the Chiclorious B@st@rds favour a strong Dong?

If so I will redirect my finances from Ding, thanks for the tip!

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

ARMOR HUNTERS, ROUND 3

We got a whole lotta talk about Armor Hunters in this one.

Tune in, and enjoy.

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

ARMOR HUNTERS, ROUND 4

A whole lot more Armor Hunters discussion!

Tune in, and enjoy.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I listened to a whack of episodes in the 150's today while I spent the day in my studio, working on an exciting (to me, anyway :lol: ) commission for our very own fellow board member Jace. Mostly I caught up on some of the small talks from SDCC, the post con episode with Chiclo & Jonesy (156) and finally listened to both parts of the amazing Josh-Bert Dy-Ditti interview episodes all the way through.

Well done, gentlemen - you guys handled that with some serious professionalism mixed with your usual brand of fun & personality. It was great to hear so many insights on the entire series of Harbinger from Joshua as you went through the story arcs. I already had a deep appreciation for his depth of writing on the book, but this still added so many more extra layers of enjoyment - now I'm looking forward to taking time to re-read the series again soon.

Congrats for all the landed Hail Mary questions too :wink: :clap: :clap:

Also - that is damn cool that Doc now owns the RAI map art!! :o :clap:

Your discussion about Mind MGMt in that recent reads segment has also convinced me to get around to reading that book - it's been on my list of titles to check out, but what you said sounds like an amazing concept that is right up my alley.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

Just listened to the latest Rai episode. Good stuff as always, gentlemen. And Sean- get that art framed! :wink:

When we talked about Silk, I thought that there were 2 Silks because one was the one we've seen in Unity, and the other one was the "original source code" one stored at Fukushima with the mysterious stone. And for some reason, in the future, that one gets awakened, but doesn't have the updated memories that the other Silk had. hence, two competing Silks with different memories, post-popsicle status.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

The name of the nuclear power plant in Japan get's the SQUEE? lol. Can't have "eff U K" -shima, I guess.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Chris Campbell wrote:When we talked about Silk, I thought that there were 2 Silks because one was the one we've seen in Unity, and the other one was the "original source code" one stored at *SQUEE* with the mysterious stone. And for some reason, in the future, that one gets awakened, but doesn't have the updated memories that the other Silk had. hence, two competing Silks with different memories, post-popsicle status.
Chris, you have blown my mind. What's interesting about your theory is that it is also similar to the conundrum of the Goat in Quantum & Woody; their father's mind is in the Goat, yet without a bunch of years' experiences that the real father had prior to his death.

Could Dr. Silk be the Goat? You read it here first peeps!!! Valiant Podcast and Only The Valiant...UNITE crazy theories to form...GOD FIRE CONVOY! (Chris, you should know what I'm talking about here...lol)
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

just listened to the latest ep. …. and i'm just as confused by rai as before.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

It's owrite to be confused if it's so pretty.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:It's owrite to be confused if it's so pretty.
(you're talking to one of the few that does not dig the art)

Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

JonesyAZ wrote:
Chris Campbell wrote:
Could Dr. Silk be the Goat? You read it here first peeps!!! Valiant Podcast and Only The Valiant...UNITE crazy theories to form...GOD FIRE CONVOY! (Chris, you should know what I'm talking about here...lol)
Yes! or even Victory Saber, if you will! :D

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
So the impression I'm getting is the Chiclorious B@st@rds favour a strong Dong?

If so I will redirect my finances from Ding, thanks for the tip!
The Chiclorious Basterds always have strong Dong

as do Los Chiclos Del Norte
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls