Collectible Serial Numbers?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shaxper
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by shaxper »

I suppose that makes sense in some cases, but we do that with indy self published issues too. We even do it with art and caught baseballs.

I've just never really understood the general concept of the signature, other than that they were always unquestionably worth a lot until the verification scare in the '90s.

Again, I'd rather have a photo of me and Mr. Shooter than an autograph on my comic. THAT's closeness to the source ;)

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

shaxper wrote:Again, I'd rather have a photo of me and Mr. Shooter than an autograph on my comic. THAT's closeness to the source ;)

I'd rather have art. The idea that my fav creator was hunched over a piece for hours is too cool. Too bad writers scripts don't make the rounds.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

shaxper wrote:Again, I'd rather have a photo of me and Mr. Shooter than an autograph on my comic. THAT's closeness to the source ;)
Well, you get the autographed comic UNTIL you have the photo.
Then... once you have the photo... you can just sell the comic.
Lots of collectors like to buy the "lower cost item" until an upgrade is available. :wink:
Last edited by greg on Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:26:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

dino wrote:

I'd rather have art. The idea that my fav creator was hunched over a piece for hours is too cool. Too bad writers scripts don't make the rounds.

Now I TOTALLY understand original artwork. That's definitely cool, and makes a lot of sense in the context of what you were saying, Greg. Too bad they don't sell original artwork by the issue. I'd never want just a single page. What I wouldn't do to have a full original of one of my favorite issues. Man, I'd shell out the bucks!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I just bought one of the MHC Shooter signed EW #1's (regular) for $5...of course, it was overgraded...;O The cert is from a signing tour in Germany, of all places.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:of course, it was overgraded.
That's seriously starting to annoy me. Whats the deal with MHC??? Its practically fraud, ive got books from them that are supposed to be NM but are VF- at best.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dino wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:of course, it was overgraded.
That's seriously starting to annoy me. Whats the deal with MHC??? Its practically fraud, ive got books from them that are supposed to be NM but are VF- at best.
But, see, in contrast to the other thread regarding S&H charges....I have come to EXPECT that from MHC...so, I figure it into the price and whether I'm willing to pay that price. I'm ok with it, not up in arms about it, because I EXPECT it from MHC.It doesn't come as a surprise when I receive the books, as the overcharging for S&H does.

Is that right? Am I just giving in and not standing up like I preach?

Perhaps. But Chuck's been doing this almost as long as I've been alive, he's NOT going to change, but with some eBay sellers, I MAY be able to make a difference before they get out of hand, too.

I guess you just have to pick your battles. ;)

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

shaxper wrote: Now I TOTALLY understand original artwork. That's definitely cool, and makes a lot of sense in the context of what you were saying, Greg. Too bad they don't sell original artwork by the issue. I'd never want just a single page. What I wouldn't do to have a full original of one of my favorite issues. Man, I'd shell out the bucks!
And they used to GIVE the stuff away! <sob>...and the cover to Miracleman #15 selling for $12,000....good gravy!

Just makes you wonder what the cover to, say, Flash #123 would sell for....at least we KNOW that still exists....what about the older Golden Age stuff? You KNOW it was quietly sucked up in the 70's by persons 'in the know' and will remain their until their deaths!

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

Man, I just placed my first order with MHC last week, and it was a big one. Wish someone had explained this to me sooner :(

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

don't be worried shax...there are also reports of MHC sending out variants and such when not really the item ordered as well...sometimes they don't really realize what they have!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

I'll be happy just to get what I paid for in the condition I paid for, but thanks.

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

myron wrote:don't be worried shax...there are also reports of MHC sending out variants and such when not really the item ordered as well...sometimes they don't really realize what they have!
That variant thing has happened to me on more than one occasion with MHC. Sometimes its a welcome suprise to get a much rarer version of a comic than what you had ordered.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

uruchuu wrote:
That variant thing has happened to me on more than one occasion with MHC. Sometimes its a welcome suprise to get a much rarer version of a comic than what you had ordered.
And then there's the time, last month or so, that MHC sent me a Shadowman #19 with Aerosmith (1993) when I'd ordered a Shadowman #19 (1998).

Instead of just sending out the correct book, they asked me to RETURN the 25 cent #19. (I;ve spent about $800 with MHC since March-ish) Granted, they paid for return shipping...but I had to repackage the book and send it back out, wasting a hell of a lot more time than the 25 cent book was worth. They didn't compensate me for my time for THEIR error.

You just gotta laugh sometimes, or you'll go nuts.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
uruchuu wrote:
And then there's the time, last month or so, that MHC sent me a Shadowman #19 with Aerosmith (1993) when I'd ordered a Shadowman #19 (1998).

Instead of just sending out the correct book, they asked me to RETURN the 25 cent #19. (I;ve spent about $800 with MHC since March-ish) Granted, they paid for return shipping...but I had to repackage the book and send it back out, wasting a hell of a lot more time than the 25 cent book was worth. They didn't compensate me for my time for THEIR error.

You just gotta laugh sometimes, or you'll go nuts.
I had the exact same thing happen when I ordered #19 as well. Big price difference in the book too.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

I ordered what they had listed as the Unity trade paperback limited, thinking I might actually be getting the Diamond Unity. They sent me a beat up copy of the regular Unity trade sealed with the slipcase.