Ninjak 1 Cover - $66K

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Ninjak 1 Cover - $66K

Post by nycjadie »

I’m astonished at this price, but clearly a few people really wanted it!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comi ... ailystatus

BWS’s Bloodshot 1 cover sold for $31K. So did Frank Miller’s Shadowman 4. Bob Layton’s X-O 1 was $8300. Is the highest for a Valiant cover? What else is high?

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993
Re: Ninjak 1 Cover - $66K

Post by dino »

Solar 3 at 59k

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Wow. Congrats to the seller (and the buyer).

I'm surprised that this went for so much more than other Valiant covers, although I guess it is a matter of what comes up for sale and when. I'd think Magnus 0 or 1 or Harbinger 1 would be the most valuable VH1 cover if everything went for sale at the same time.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I love Quesada art. That cover is iconic.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

IMJ wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:34:26 am I love Quesada art. That cover is iconic.
This. Rich people search items that will not lose their value like all currencies do. Iconic items like this are both nice to own and count as a safe investment.

/Magnus

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

magnusr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:15:47 pm
IMJ wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:34:26 am I love Quesada art. That cover is iconic.
This. Rich people search items that will not lose their value like all currencies do. Iconic items like this are both nice to own and count as a safe investment.

/Magnus
There is a lot of talk about stashing whatever money you have in art right now, given the state of the markets. And people are so set on continuing to "buy the dip" that this has been drawn out when we should have had market capitulation already. I'm guilty of it myself - found out about FedEx's CEO comments the other day and bought 10 shares today.

Artwork has legs, but only do it for wealth storage if you can make it without the money. Because you'll only be able to sell that art once again when everyone has money to buy it. That's what they don't tell you about the strategy... lol! This is also why companies like "Masterworks" are being pimped so hard right now, but you need a formal investor classification to buy from them I think, much like some of the Farmland aggregators out there as well.

murrayroach
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by murrayroach »

Even with the skyrocketing prices of OA, I was stunned by this one. I too, love Quesada, but I believe this is also his most expensive cover sold at auction. Coupled with the fact that Ninjak isn't as well known as Solar or Magnus and it's a real coup for the seller. I know the market has been on fire, but the Quesada Solar #23 cover sold 3 years ago for $1700!

If you compare to the BWS Solar covers (which are all just incredible), they sell for less than half of his Marvel covers and he's BWS!

Anyone know who the seller was? I ask bc I've not seen this original before and I'm on a 25-year hunt to get any original from X-O Manowar #0 and have never seen a single page of it available anywhere so curious if same seller has some of it? (I've asked Joe and Jimmy...they both have the same story '...sold that stuff decades ago...")

Hearty congrats to the seller and buyer as well. And I'll think fondly of a time when Quesada covers, regardless of character, maxed out at $3000 LOL.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

heres something interesting, i know and recently talked to the person who once owned the entire oa for xo#0
. he got it from comiclink as it was wrongly listed as solar #0.. the whole book was $6500.. hes since parted it out and has many original pages.. he goes by valman on ebay

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

heres something interesting, i know and recently talked to the person who once owned the entire oa for xo#0
. he got it from comiclink as it was wrongly listed as solar #0.. the whole book was $6500.. hes since parted it out and has many original pages.. he goes by valman on ebay

nycjadie
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

The prices have increased significantly. I regret passing up on the Solar 2 cover!

murrayroach
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by murrayroach »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:44:34 pm heres something interesting, i know and recently talked to the person who once owned the entire oa for xo#0
That is interesting! How long ago?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:40:58 pm The prices have increased significantly. I regret passing up on the Solar 2 cover!
Dude. I think it was like 15 years ago or so the Quasar #1 cover was on ebay for 2 grand. And it sat there for months and I never bought it. Eventually it sold and I've never seen it since.

Of all the things on Earth to come to market and I didn't buy it. And although 2 grand held a much different meaning for me back then, especially for a comic book item, I mean I probably charged the equivalent of ten times that within a year anyway at the time.

That is easily in the top three regrets of my collecting life. I'd have owned that Paul Ryan cover forever.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I agree, his art on many Valiant covers brought many people to Valiant (including me). I also think his best work was in the 90s.