The Woke Comics Backlash Begins

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: The Woke Comics Backlash Begins

Post by Chiclo »

armlessphelan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02:10 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55:08 pm
armlessphelan wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:32:25 pm As the token actual gay person who occasionally posts on this board
I'm a token gay too! :high-five:
Go us! *Returns to lurking*
He shall return when he is needed most.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

So, how about some Valiant Comics discussion? I like the new Archer and Armstrong title so far. The first issue of Book of Shadows wasn’t bad either. Oh, and I appreciate everyone’s opinion on these books and heck even politics as its’ fun to read. But I find I tire of angry finger pointing that both sides of the extremists keep doing in politics to keep us divided and P.O.ed. We CAN all be the people we want as most human beings want to be able to be themselves and feel they belong and are loved.
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

JonesyAZ wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:17:28 pm So, how about some Valiant Comics discussion? I like the new Archer and Armstrong title so far. The first issue of Book of Shadows wasn’t bad either.
It’s all on this Valiant published books section…there’s only about 4 people who contribute these days though so feel free to jump in :thumb:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

JonesyAZ wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:17:28 pm So, how about some Valiant Comics discussion? I like the new Archer and Armstrong title so far. The first issue of Book of Shadows wasn’t bad either. Oh, and I appreciate everyone’s opinion on these books and heck even politics as its’ fun to read. But I find I tire of angry finger pointing that both sides of the extremists keep doing in politics to keep us divided and P.O.ed. We CAN all be the people we want as most human beings want to be able to be themselves and feel they belong and are loved.
Dude there's a ton of threads talking about Valiant comics that no one responds to, try to read a few. The discussions in this thread are civil and interesting from either 'side', skip it if you don't like it.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:29:00 am In comics the reality is that the vast majority of customers are still white males (to some peoples disgust). Not because there’s never been female, gay or ethnic characters in the past as those books have been on the shelves for decades but have never proven to consistently sell as there isn’t enough of those comic buying demographics to sustain the books. Maybe it’s a cultural thing. However, for some bizarre reason, companies seem obsessed with making white males read about those characters regardless of popularity.
A comic book world that more accurately reflects the "real" world is not "making white males read about those characters" - it is simply showing the world around you. That is not a "woke" philosophy - that is reality.

If a white male comic book reader wants to stick with comic companies that don't reflect "reality" that's fine - they are welcome to do so. But it should be up to them to then find comics that match what they want to read.

In addition, maybe some readers who are LGBTQIA+, who are female, who are BIPOC may be more likely to pick up a comic book in they see themselves represented within its page. Representation matters, and expanding readership is a good thing.

Chris
Last edited by cjv on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:29:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

cjv wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:05:17 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:29:00 am In comics the reality is that the vast majority of customers are still white males (to some peoples disgust). Not because there’s never been female, gay or ethnic characters in the past as those books have been on the shelves for decades but have never proven to consistently sell as there isn’t enough of those comic buying demographics to sustain the books. Maybe it’s a cultural thing. However, for some bizarre reason, companies seem obsessed with making white males read about those characters regardless of popularity.
If a white male comic book reader wants to stick with comic companies that minimize the number LGBTQIA+, BIPOC, or female characters, then he should just find other comics.
Chris
I think this nicely sums up the woke/SJW attitude. Hijack a harmless hobby, targeted because it’s enjoyed mostly by white males for decades and insert unwanted politics and if you don’t like it then go elsewhere.

Meanwhile the ‘new’ audience is nowhere to be found.

As I said in my post, there has been books aimed at BIPOC, female and gay characters for many years but few (if any unless you count Spawn) have sustained the test of time.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

And then I see this....and it reminds me of this whole mess.... It makes a good point... not the whole point, but a good one...
FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Now part of me wants to see this alien movie to see if there really is a woke agenda or if it is just some you tube guy trying for clicks but another part of me doesn’t want to support another woke movie.

What is the name of this alien movie?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21:41 am And then I see this....and it reminds me of this whole mess.... It makes a good point... not the whole point, but a good one...

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
Apart from being a great movie, Aliens happened without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation. So whilst I see the point being made, it’s all about context.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:27:22 pmApart from being a great movie, Aliens happened without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation. So whilst I see the point being made, it’s all about context.
And I'll illustrate the context here because supporters of woke-$#!( lack all critical-thinking nuance and simply onboard for their own rush.....
Oxmyx wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21:41 am And then I see this....and it reminds me of this whole mess.... It makes a good point... not the whole point, but a good one...

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
All it does is make a point based on a foundationally unsound premise. Woke-$#!( tries to pretend that it's the first to do something. That same guy who made that meme would've said one or two years ago that Brie Larsen took a stand to lead the first female superhero movie or that Chadwick Boseman broke down walls in a stunning and brave move as the first Black Superhero. It's all BS framing to manipulate the peasant thinkers of the Earth to cultivate support.

Woke-$#!( is a disingenuous lie for peasant thinkers. And those peasant thinkers get on board according to "life-angry psychology xyz", or for their quick serotonin hit under the belief that they are "fighting evil" or making a stand against an invisible enemy.

Woke-$#!( also seeks to displace or replace traditional archetypes rather than joining them by adding something new to the existing mix. It's the "power rangering" of everything for the woke-$#!( "Power Rangers Generation". It appropriates or steals what is already there to make carbon copies like Marxist-nuts so that everyone can be seen wearing the same outfit.

Quit being a f'n drone.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

IMJ wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:08:06 pm
Woke-$#!( also seeks to displace or replace traditional archetypes rather than joining them by adding something new to the existing mix.
I think this is a good way to articulate the debate…displace/replace versus adding something new. I’m stealing that :thumb:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:27:22 pm

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
…without any agenda or intended audience political manipulation.
I keep seeing people claim that there's an agenda baked into entertainment they're not interested in, but it's never followed up with any actual support outside of their perception based on what they might know or assume about people involved.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:23:28 pm

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
I keep seeing people claim that there's an agenda baked into entertainment they're not interested in, but it's never followed up with any actual support outside of their perception based on what they might know or assume about people involved.
C’mon KJ we’ve been through this loads of times, I’ve provided specific evidence plenty of times. Off the top of my head look back at the comments of that garbage Harbinger series, they were explicit about what they had planned from a story perspective.

Read the Twitter comments from the writers and editors who all spew the same views.

Look at the character swaps and the story content of current mainstream comics across marvel, DC and to s lower level Valiant.

Even Disney are explicit about their LGBTQ+ agenda, it’s no secret.

When you are against/for or indifferent it’s inescapable that it’s happening throughout entertainment.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:02:28 pm

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg
C’mon KJ we’ve been through this loads of times, I’ve provided specific evidence plenty of times. Off the top of my head look back at the comments of that garbage Harbinger series, they were explicit about what they had planned from a story perspective.

Read the Twitter comments from the writers and editors who all spew the same views.

Look at the character swaps and the story content of current mainstream comics across marvel, DC and to s lower level Valiant.

When you are against/for or indifferent it’s inescapable that it’s happening throughout entertainment.
Disney's supposed "LGBTQ+ agenda" seems to be to tell stories that include characters that fit those particular demographics, to make their stories more closely reflect what we find in the real world. That isn't, in my mind, an agenda.

Unless you're saying that Marvel, DC, every major movie studio and television network has had a straight, white, male agenda for most of their existence, since their output disproportionately featured characters that fit those demographics compared to the real world.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:36:26 pm

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg

Disney's supposed "LGBTQ+ agenda" seems to be to tell stories that include characters that fit those particular demographics, to make their stories more closely reflect what we find in the real world. That isn't, in my mind, an agenda.

Unless you're saying that Marvel, DC, every major movie studio and television network has had a straight, white, male agenda for most of their existence, since their output disproportionately featured characters that fit those demographics compared to the real world.
Definition of agenda: an underlying often ideological plan or program a political agenda.

In a groundbreaking statement for The Walt Disney Company, corporate president Karey Burke has shared that she is committed to having 50% of all Disney characters be “LGBTQIA and racial minorities.”

Pre the ‘woke era’ I think the only agenda was market forces ie what the customer was willing to purchase and that drove content for Marvel, DC, Disney etc

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

IMJ, you’re acting like a drone just as much as those you despise. This is what drives me crazy about both extreme sides of these absolutely stupid discussions. Politics in this country are heading towards the same hatred that results in Nazi Germany exterminating Jews and other “undesireables,” or how Israel and Palestine constantly kill one another.

This is my last comment about this tiring conversation. Learn to accept that entertainment can be enjoyed or not by everyone or not. *SQUEE* Woke. *SQUEE* MAGA.
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:13:56 pm
kjjohanson wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:36:26 pm

FB_IMG_1660400143072.jpg

Definition of agenda: an underlying often ideological plan or program a political agenda.

In a groundbreaking statement for The Walt Disney Company, corporate president Karey Burke has shared that she is committed to having 50% of all Disney characters be “LGBTQIA and racial minorities.”

Pre the ‘woke era’ I think the only agenda was market forces ie what the customer was willing to purchase and that drove content for Marvel, DC, Disney etc
Considering that birth statistics of non-Hispanic Whites in the US population has been just over 50% the last decade or so, and is falling, and when you consider that a certain percentage of those are going to be LGBTQIA, I don't see why this is a problem. And I noticed that you conveniently left out that she also indicated "we don’t have enough leads and narratives in which gay characters just get to be characters and not have to be about gay stories,” which indicates the absence of an agenda outside of just representing those demographics in their stories.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Listen guys... This conversation is taking attention away from my awesome Macho Man Randy Savage dream viewtopic.php?p=1117132#p1117132
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

It appropriates or steals what is already there to make carbon copies like Marxist-nuts so that everyone can be seen wearing the same outfit.

Quit being a f'n drone.
Wow IMJ I lost a lot of respect for you from that outburst. I guess you were having a bad day. I saw a funny meme (I thought) on Facebook...reposted here because it reminded me of this whole issue. If you use the "hip" word woke, I'll use the "hip" word TRIGGERED
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:16:24 pm Listen guys... This conversation is taking attention away from my awesome Macho Man Randy Savage dream viewtopic.php?p=1117132#p1117132
Oh yeah.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Threads like this always make me miss ZWH.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

depluto wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:37:14 am Threads like this always make me miss ZWH.
I'm assuming he had strong opinions? If I'm not mistaken, he's RockMyAmadeus over on the CGC boards, but he stopped posting there a couple of years ago. (But he's still on the boards; he'll react to others' posts.) Not sure where he was politically, because they frown on those types of arguments on the boards over there.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:53:08 pm
Woke-$#!( also seeks to displace or replace traditional archetypes rather than joining them by adding something new to the existing mix.
I think this is a good way to articulate the debate…displace/replace versus adding something new. I’m stealing that :thumb:
Go for it. The more definitive language we have that identifies, isolates and shines a light on the reality of woke $#!(, the better for everyone.
Oxmyx wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:28:09 am Wow IMJ I lost a lot of respect for you from that outburst. I guess you were having a bad day. I saw a funny meme (I thought) on Facebook...reposted here because it reminded me of this whole issue. If you use the "hip" word woke, I'll use the "hip" word TRIGGERED
There was no "outburst" bud. It's been my experience that the more unassailable my positioning is, the more there is a sample size who would reply with greater emotional defense mechanisms, like calling rock solid points "outbursts". I think it's maybe more telling of you than me that you went there with that "perception is reality" style of thinking.

C'mon over to the "reality is reality" crowd instead of the one where Chuck Schumer has to use a pointer on a poster to mobilize the peasant revolts. Or calling any intellectual an "istaphobe" who sees the forest for the trees on this topic. Or going out into the streets and hitting people in the back of the head over an invisible enemy like "the" white supremacists or "the" mysoginists everywhere. OOoooo -scary ghost sounds- Woke $#!( isn't inclusion. It's disingenuous nonsense led by the life-angry and followed by the onboarding virtue-signaler who needs to be part of "something" to elevate their unhappy lives.

Or maybe it's you lefties and your guilt. Ever think about that? I've lived a life where I haven't oppressed anyone, been widely good to people and have known a truly diverse group of people. And so, by my perspective woke $#!( is nonsense. Maybe it's more telling about the mindless supporters of woke $#!( and their worldview and life-actions regarding their thoughts or what they've done to people and their guilt over it.

Maybe I see woke $#!( for what it is because I actually know a wide breadth of people and maybe you subscribe to woke $#!( because you were a hater at one point, or maybe you wokesters don't actually have any cross-cultural experience. Maybe "woke" makes sense to you because you are the person "woke" is trying to wake up.

All of you woke $#!( supporters look in a f'n mirror.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

IMJ wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:55:50 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:53:08 pm
Go for it. The more definitive language we have that identifies, isolates and shines a light on the reality of woke $#!(, the better for everyone.
Oxmyx wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:28:09 am Wow IMJ I lost a lot of respect for you from that outburst. I guess you were having a bad day. I saw a funny meme (I thought) on Facebook...reposted here because it reminded me of this whole issue. If you use the "hip" word woke, I'll use the "hip" word TRIGGERED
There was no "outburst" bud. It's been my experience that the more unassailable my positioning is, the more there is a sample size who would reply with greater emotional defense mechanisms, like calling rock solid points "outbursts". I think it's maybe more telling of you than me that you went there with that "perception is reality" style of thinking.

C'mon over to the "reality is reality" crowd instead of the one where Chuck Schumer has to use a pointer on a poster to mobilize the peasant revolts. Or calling any intellectual an "istaphobe" who sees the forest for the trees on this topic. Or going out into the streets and hitting people in the back of the head over an invisible enemy like "the" white supremacists or "the" mysoginists everywhere. OOoooo -scary ghost sounds- Woke $#!( isn't inclusion. It's disingenuous nonsense led by the life-angry and followed by the onboarding virtue-signaler who needs to be part of "something" to elevate their unhappy lives.

Or maybe it's you lefties and your guilt. Ever think about that? I've lived a life where I haven't oppressed anyone, been widely good to people and have known a truly diverse group of people. And so, by my perspective woke $#!( is nonsense. Maybe it's more telling about the mindless supporters of woke $#!( and their worldview and life-actions regarding their thoughts or what they've done to people and their guilt over it.

Maybe I see woke $#!( for what it is because I actually know a wide breadth of people and maybe you subscribe to woke $#!( because you were a hater at one point, or maybe you wokesters don't actually have any cross-cultural experience. Maybe "woke" makes sense to you because you are the person "woke" is trying to wake up.

All of you woke $#!( supporters look in a f'n mirror.
Sorry man, I didn't realize someone hit you over the head. That sucks. I'd take it personal, too.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Someone seems triggered...
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month