ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Sep 20, 2018 11:30:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HW2 event was it a flop?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49:02 pm 
Harbinger rank: Ichinensei

Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite character: Spike
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
I'm really surprised there hasn't been any discussion concerning the event.

I personally thought it was terrible, the worst since the creation of Valiant.... in the 90's.

I don't think even Aftermath will wash out the crap it left in my mouth.

After the hot garbage buildup in Renegades and that one-shot with the original psiot and the build up of secret weapons.

WOW total letdown. where was Soloman? Where was that vampire psiot? Where was the huge battles?

it ended on a handshake!!!!!

what do you all think of it?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
  Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08:35 pm 
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51748

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23:12 am 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo
Favorite title: Divinity, savage,
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Flop. Feel scammed for my money in hopes of something awsome. Jadded towards DMG valiant. It will really make me question investing in other titles. Since the take over valiant has all but died. Im holding on for xo. Dont have hope for the new titles but will try incursion 1 bloodshot ongoing continuing with xo and for sure dysarts stuff. Valiant needs to get their squee together they have had lots of time now so ya. Least there is the walking dead

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02:27 am 
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.

Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Currently Ninjak
Definitely not what I wanted from Dinesh and Warren's last books.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14:02 am 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi

Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Flop. Disappointments have been noted in the other thread, but in retrospect, I think the biggest issue is that they didn't think to delay or add an issue and instead pieced together a 4th issue that is just someone explaining what happened. It takes any suspense or thrill out of the goings on, highlighting all the other faults. If that had been this upcoming AFTERMATH issue, that might've made some sense. but after the WTF moments in #3, to just have Peter Falk mumble through the parts Fred Savage doesn't really want to sit through really really really sucked.

They could've had a whole press release or more dedicated to the new EXTRA issue that the event was just too big and couldn't be contained as originally planned...that might've gotten more buyers to jump on.

And they (being VEI/DMG) have to see the sales numbers and have to consider it a flop as well. They had their core readers, but couldn't even top XO's diminishing numbers.

This would be a good place for someone to tally the sales numbers, but last I saw HW2 was somewhere down by NINJA-K and nowhere near XO. And I don't think board excitement encouraged any of the trade waiters to rush out for it.

On the other hand, I do have hopes for the new titles. They are all at least mildly interesting to me, but Livewire was more so before HW2 revealed itself. Plus these are the books where we'll really see what the new regime is up to. I think the diminishing excitement on XO, Bloodshot, and HW2 are a result of the takeover and the company trying to maintain output during the shakeup. Q&W and Ninja-K have maintained a really nice quality in the shakeup... Q&W especially, surprising me that it got even better even after the first arc's surprisingly good story.

I'm rooting for Illidge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12:31 am 

It's a flop...not really any need to elaborate further as anyone who read it already knows how bad it sucked

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:20:24 am 
Harbinger rank: Nensei
Harbinger rank: Nensei

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
I think the diminishing excitement on XO, Bloodshot, and HW2 are a result of the takeover and the company trying to maintain output during the shakeup. Q&W and Ninja-K have maintained a really nice quality in the shakeup... Q&W especially, surprising me that it got even better even after the first arc's surprisingly good story.

I'm rooting for Illidge.

To me it's obvious what happened with those books. Dinesh and Warren have talked in interviews about the Valiant creative process about how they approach ongoings and how far ahead they are. They've said that they get very far ahead on new books up until about the third arc or end of the first year of story, they fly by the seat of their pants mostly after that and that crossovers are so intensive that they are down to the wire creative decisions. To me this fits perfectly with the quality drop:

X-O and Bloodshot droppped sharply in quality because Dinesh and Warren were gone and the book was already in the "fly by the seat of their pants" phase so there was no story with their oversight to publish for the new DMG Valiant. They DMG team had to oversee it and did a bad job.

Q&W and Ninja-k maintained because those books were in the Dinesh and Warren "very far ahead on new books" phase so DMG Valiant just had to finish the last bits and publish those books.

HW2 was a disaster because those events need Dinesh and Warren to be there every second right to the last "down to the wire' moment. Also, I'm pretty sure they made up a whole new story using only the premise that was announced...or maybe because those crossovers are so last minute there was nothing but the prelude part and the synopsis ready and everything else was decided by DMG. I mean lots of those choices in the story were things Dinesh and Warren not only wouldn't do but seem to actively avoid doing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40:56 pm 

Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninja-K
Favorite title: Ninja-K
Flop. Didn't recover from the format change and loss of half the creative team.

Remember "VALIANT PRESTIGE format – a new form of deluxe packaging for Valiant’s most important standalone limited series and events!" This event didn't have it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33:49 pm 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Flop.

I’ve already commented in the spoiler section discussion on the last issue, so I won’t repeat any of that here. But I will just say that I found this story to be a meandering, ham fisted mess that was a chore to read at best, and downright painful at its worst. With the exception of the Heiserrer prelude issue, which was great.

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56:09 am 
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
grendeljd wrote:
Flop.

I’ve already commented in the spoiler section discussion on the last issue, so I won’t repeat any of that here. But I will just say that I found this story to be a meandering, ham fisted mess that was a chore to read at best, and downright painful at its worst. With the exception of the Heiserrer prelude issue, which was great.

I'll echo the Flop theme here, because it was.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most, all the things Heiserrer wrote went for not, or at best so very little. I think we all can agree that his writing was beautiful, and we all cared about the characters. We fell in love with Livewire almost instantly in Secret Weapons, and were all very excited to see where this was supposed to go. The mail in book and the zero issue, they're all for nothing, and that bothers me. Harbinger Renegade, Alpha, Solomon... All for nothing.

Sure, the book sucked, but a lot of great writing also went into the toilet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27:01 pm 

Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Flop.

I'll echo the Flop theme here, because it was.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most, all the things Heiserrer wrote went for not, or at best so very little. I think we all can agree that his writing was beautiful, and we all cared about the characters. We fell in love with Livewire almost instantly in Secret Weapons, and were all very excited to see where this was supposed to go. The mail in book and the zero issue, they're all for nothing, and that bothers me. Harbinger Renegade, Alpha, Solomon... All for nothing.

Sure, the book sucked, but a lot of great writing also went into the toilet.

Very good point. Thats an extra layer of Disappointment Condiment inside a *SQUEE* sandwich we all ate.

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24:44 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Flop for sure, Kindt knows it. I just seen him in Saskatoon.

I think this book was a victim of timing and I agree the new guys had to scramble just to get books on the self. I think this is why they printed Valiant High.

I really can't blame the new guys for it though, their work is still to come and I will judge them on that. Shadowman and Ninja-k are going great right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27:32 am 

Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
hawkeyeps wrote:
[]Flop for sure, Kindt knows it. I just seen him in Saskatoon.

anything else to go with that?

You know, it would be nice if they went the Deluxe HC route and expanded the story with new pages. Just because something didn't work the first time, because it was rushed, doesn't mean it can't be salvaged. And I think it would go a long way to extending good faith between the new regime and us. It would also be a sign for the industry that they want quality books under their banner.

Fix it.

Offline Profile